Setting up lab NAS

Currently reading
Setting up lab NAS

Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Want to setup a NAS for storage and rapid data retrieval and backup locally then have cloud backup. Would be AWESOME to have VPN remote access as well.

Going to store genomic sequencing data on it for a small lab (looking at tons of seqs, not just seqs generated by us). Don't want to be limited on storage space but don't need 4k video. Looking at a DS1819+. Could be overkill?? I'm new to NASs. Definitely want a scalable unit. Having prices for these things on the Synology website would be helpful!
-Andy

Last edited:
1. How many data do you have now:
a) production data - core data for your daily operation
b) administrative data - out of your primary job, but necessary for an operation support
c) other data

2. How many data growth do you expect in next 4Y:
-same categories

3. What does mean - rapid data retrieval - in your case:
a) for the production/administrative/other data ... pls define minimal expected data throughput in Mbps
b) what kind of devices will transfer data into the NAS ... pls define minimal expected data throughput in Mbps
c) what kind of devices will transfer data from the NAS ... pls define minimal expected data throughput in Mbps

4. Do you have fixed LAN architecture, or you can probably invest to new one? Based on your explanation in rapid data retrieval expectations.

5. Is there also data transfer between two (or more) locations expected (from/to NAS)? What is your current WAN throughput in Mbps?

When we finish this part we can step up the data availability/redundancy, then we can move to backup, then we will finally decide what do you need for your rapid data retrieval plan.

Or you can purchase DS1819+.

Thanks for all the great info. Yes, would like to backup NAS to cloud.

We would plan to work with data and finish a project then store it for long term. So it looks like we could have a max capacity of 128 TB with the DS1819+? And 288 TB with Expansion Unit.

What is an expansion unit?
Thanks

Thanks for all the great info. Yes, would like to backup NAS to cloud.

We would plan to work with data and finish a project then store it for long term. So it looks like we could have a max capacity of 128 TB with the DS1819+? And 288 TB with Expansion Unit.

What is an expansion unit?
Thanks
@Andy G , when you would like invest to storage system with expected 288TB capacity and your answer to my request is so simple, then you can purchase any NAS, up to your preference.
When you will take this investment seriously I can help you, even more. Also with explanation what does mean the Expansion unit.
Just to be sure: max RAW capacity of DS1819+ with expansion is about 288TB

The expansion unit is the DX517 which has 5-bays and an eSata connection to the NAS. The DS1819+ has the capability for two DX517 so that's 8+5+5 bays = 18xx (where xx19 is the model year 2019).

As for the maximum volume sizes for the various DSM NAS models...

And RAID calculator is here...

A bit of background on Synology NAS: the DS BBYY naming gives the YY year and BB is the maximum number of bays in a single storage pool (RAID). For example, the two 2-bay 'plus' NAS are DS218+ and DS718+ and both can be expanded with the DX517. While the DS718+ can use the DX517 to expand the internal storage pool across the extra five bays to give a total of seven bays the DS218+ cannot expand its internal storage pool. The DS218+ can have two storage pools: 2-bay internal and a 5-bay in the expansion unit.

The risk-averse person in me says that expanding the internal volume across an eSata cable to a separately powered unit with it's separate logic board is just doubling the risk of a failure. I've no evidence of this but worth considering.

Note that Synology has this in the expansion unit specs
To have better performance, we recommend creating storage volumes physically located within the same NAS or Expansion Unit, rather than creating volumes across your NAS and Expansion Unit.

BTW you'll find £/bay is lower if you get the right sized NAS rather than adding an expansion unit later.

@Andy G , when you would like invest to storage system with expected 288TB capacity and your answer to my request is so simple, then you can purchase any NAS, up to your preference.
When you will take this investment seriously I can help you, even more. Also with explanation what does mean the Expansion unit.
Just to be sure: max RAW capacity of DS1819+ with expansion is about 288TB
Yeah, I'm still trying to determine all the specifics. Work in progress.

Yeah, I'm still trying to determine all the specifics. Work in progress.
I'm working with our department IT expert this. I think we will be able to use the LAN system in the building. I appreciate the detailed questions to create the best system. Just need to define all the specific requirements and network possibilities.

"The risk-averse person in me says that expanding the internal volume across an eSata cable to a separately powered unit with it's separate logic board is just doubling the risk of a failure. I've no evidence of this but worth considering."

100% agree - I got away with this but would not recommend it.

You will also want to consider implementing a 10GBE network for this to maximize network throughput.
because from initial request we have such info only - "store genomic sequencing data on it (NAS) for a small lab (looking at tons of seqs, not just seqs generated by us)"

then we don't know what devices they will use for the data transfer to/from NAS, e.g.:
- basic laptops/desktops with max. 1Gbps simple on-board card?
- same as above trough slow-speed WAN?
- fast devices trough slow-speed WAN?
- extra super boosted bioinformatics servers based on on/off-premise computation?
- mix of them?
- etc
Finally we have no idea what really does mean the "rapid data retrieval" for them.
assumption is mother all f-ups :cool:

There is also another point of view: specific requirements for data storage and DNA banking in the public and private sectors required by specific regulation. We have this level in EU.

Whatever, it'll be quicker than when I spent good time manually configuring a Solaris server and PC with cross-over cable just to transfer 150MB of tar files. That's when the LAN was 10Mbps and the device cards were 10/100. It should've been quick enough over 10 but it was trickling through. Wanted to get home :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.