Currently reading
Setting up Synology NAS as a PVR

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I'm trying to get my head around the whole subject of recording live TV, so am looking for some advise on how to setup my NAS as a Freeview PVR. Really need some advise on what TV Tuners you would recommend and how I can can record Freeview HD Channels. I assume that once TV tuner is setup you can manage the reocording via Plex and or Video Station ?

What are other people experiances on this and what are your setups ?

I run live tv (DVR) via Plex and HDHomeRun integration. Ofc I am using a virtual HDHomeRun emulator to make this happen, but if Freeview can work over HDHomerun then you could get this going. Also, LiveTV/DVR options are part of Plex pass, so that's also needed.

Wrote a bit about my setup here: https://www.blackvoid.club/cut-the-cord-plex-live-tv-xteve-iptv/

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your reply, the article was of interest. Not sure where your based but I'm based in the UK and in the UK the HD Broadcats on Freeview are encrpyted whilst the SD TV Broadcasts are open. I originally had a PVR that was able to pick up the encypted streams but this eventually broke down and I'm now looking for a replacement . Ideally I'd like to record HD TV Broadcast from Freeview through to my Synology NAS. Are you able to recommend a suitable setup ?

Are you able to recommend a suitable setup
Well, I'm from Croatia and we have a messed up situation here regarding tv channels and programs in general.

Personally, I don't watch "tv" content apart from streaming/offline versions, so I can't be much of a help there, but as I said, you could look into getting HDHomerun device for your region and see if Freeview would be compatible with it. If it will work, you can hook it up with a Plex setup and run a single DVR that will feed all your devices, both mobile and stationary ones.

Plex LiveTV/DVR works really well and has a palette of options, recordings, etc... I think you will be really pleased with the setup, again, if Freeview works and is compatible with HDHomeRun brand of devices.

Hi Rusty,

Thanks for your reply, the article was of interest. Not sure where your based but I'm based in the UK and in the UK the HD Broadcats on Freeview are encrpyted whilst the SD TV Broadcasts are open. I originally had a PVR that was able to pick up the encypted streams but this eventually broke down and I'm now looking for a replacement . Ideally I'd like to record HD TV Broadcast from Freeview through to my Synology NAS. Are you able to recommend a suitable setup ?
Hi crazyfeet. I am in the UK. Did you get a solution to your requirement. I'm looking for something the same?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.