Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Dears,

Is it possible to self-host and setup a DDNS service ? A NAS-level DDNS and not a router-level DDNS. I suppose this includes a software that works in server role, on my NAS device, at my local network. What would be the benefits and costs ? Will it require first a local DNS server too ? Does a containerized solution exist for this function, a docker image for example ??

Will such provisioning project need much effort so that I peacefully and gracefully just, ditch the idea 😏

My LAN and internet Environment :
1. Fiber-optic connection to a GPON modem, providing the uplink to the ISP, no static IP service, Wifi function disabled
2. Network switch
3. Wireless access points
4. End devices including PCs, laptops, cameras and two IOT devices.
5. An internet domain name. Can I benefit from it in this DDNS project ?

I have already searched the forum and found the following three questions , this and this and that

Pardon my many questions 😅

Looks like DNS & DDNS might be better (in terms of function) be at router level instead of an internal device as the NAS, right ?

Upvote 0
Looks like DNS & DDNS might be better (in terms of function) be at router level instead of an internal device as the NAS, right ?
If DDNS is being used for non-NAS devices, put its IP pinger on the router (if you have that capability), as it will independent of the NAS operation (sleep, shutdown, etc.). Although either way, will in most cases be fine, presuming that your WAN IP changes infrequently.

Upvote 0
By self-hosting of DNS and DDNS, wherever hosted, I want to achieve the following goals :

1. Provide ability to access my NAS and IP cameras remotely from any internet connection, after taking all necessary security measures of course.
2. Establishing a minimal DNS privacy.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.