Tutorial Share file links 2019-04-20

No permission to download

Currently reading
Tutorial Share file links

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
WST16 submitted a new resource:

Share file links - How to share files and request uploads with other people

It took me a while to discover this feature when I first got my DiskStation.
It’s very useful.
Together with the “file request” option, they compliment each other for a very nice solution that allows you to interact with users who don’t have user accounts on you DS.

Share file links video
Share file links on Synology knowledge base

—Related—...

Read more about this resource...

I played around with family with these just a bit when first setting up my NAS. What's the risk to posting one of these links on a public forum? Let's pretend its a monster file that exceeds a forum's size limits for attachments. Will posting such a link help point the bad guys to your specific address, or is the link routed and masked through synology somehow?

With DDNS, It will expose your address.
Your xyz.synology.me will be in the created link. That’s the only way the shared material can be accessed (by reaching your server).
I’d rather use it for family, friends and business associates.

Not sure about QuickConnect. I think it creates a gotofile link that might mask your address because it’s going through Synology. Not sure at all though.
Maybe someone using QuickConnect can tell us. Or we can look up the mechanics of it on the knowledge base.

What's the risk to posting one of these links on a public forum? Let's pretend its a monster file that exceeds a forum's size limits for attachments. Will posting such a link help point the bad guys ...
If nothing else then it will eat your outbound bandwidth if it gets hit a lot. And depends what you mean by monster :)

You’ll have to decide when to kill the link, since forums can live for years.

If the file isn’t sensitive then you could use a free cloud service and share via that. Would mean your NAS isn’t exposed to the public.

If the file isn’t sensitive then you could use a free cloud service and share via that
And occurs to me that you can mount the cloud service into your NAS folders using Cloud Sync. So copy the file as if copying to any other NAS location. Would then have to log into the cloud service to create the shared link.

Well my private Syno ofc :D! But to answer you, I have no cloud service that I actively use apart from Syno C2 service as my glacier DR point.

Ofc syno first! But regarding what wst16 is looking to do here, and the exposure of your ddns to the public, fredbert recommended syncing the shared file to a cloud service. From there, create a shared link that you can send to people. This would essentially use the cloud service’s link and keep your ddns address somewhat private.

Ofc syno first! But regarding what wst16 is looking to do here, and the exposure of your ddns to the public, fredbert recommended syncing the shared file to a cloud service. From there, create a shared link that you can send to people. This would essentially use the cloud service’s link and keep your ddns address somewhat private.
Well I have a different approach. I have a public domain name (not a ddns) that is hosting my Drive url. There in a special folder I have all the things that are read-only for the public. Then I just send the link to specific files for people to download. Its all https traffic, nice gui and no need to make any dsm account for visitors. Simple and secure for my needs.

Well I have a different approach. I have a public domain name (not a ddns) that is hosting my Drive url. There in a special folder I have all the things that are read-only for the public. Then I just send the link to specific files for people to download. Its all https traffic, nice gui and no need to make any dsm account for visitors. Simple and secure for my needs.

Hmm 🤔... I’m thinking a reverse proxy address to be supplied to public, which only has access to drive (due to the specified port)???

This I have as wel. But one difference, my public read-only folder is hosted by my Web Station.

@Rusty @Gerard
My point to use a public cloud service was also if you have limited upload bandwidth or/and were ultra-cautious to have links posted on forums, as per what @NAS Newbie raised
Valid point regarding speed. Personally I don’t share something that will eat up all of my bandwidth or I ask people to take it in off peek hours. On the other hand usually I place an expiration date on the link as well.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I have a question regarding this set up.

Do you have a static IP address if you aren’t using DDNS? If not how did you set it up?

I am looking at moving from Dropbox to Drive and like the shared links ability but want to make sure my setup is secure. I currently have a separate domain for Drive from my DSM domain, but both the DSM and Drive DNS records point to the QuickConnect address.

Cheers,
Josh

Do you have a static IP address if you aren’t using DDNS? If not how did you set it up?
No I don't have a static IP. I still use DDNS name to redirect requests from my domain name to my Drive destination. After that I use revers proxy to push those requests to the Drive app.

No I don't have a static IP. I still use DDNS name to redirect requests from my domain name to my Drive destination. After that I use revers proxy to push those requests to the Drive app.

Essentially, even this route your public ip could still be found, by pinging the domain name to the Drive destination right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.