Question Share links advertisements?!

Currently reading
Question Share links advertisements?!

NAS
DS220+ : DS1019+ : DS920+ : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
When I send a share link now, the following (advertisement) is included before the actual link!
This happens when I paste in the dreaded WhatsApp.

I don't recall this happening before!
I'm being used to advertise Synology. It’s a DS not a free app!

Must be another one of the community guy's brilliant ideas.

Can I turn it off or change it? Anyone knows?

It doesn't happen when I paste the link and send via iMessage.
Just when I paste to WhatsApp, not sure what happens with other services. Didn't try.
If you have created any shared links on your DS and you have WhatsApp (I'm using the iOS version), you can replicate it.

It's like it resolves the link and shows the text above.
It's not something I can select and delete. Here's a full one (details blurred). Here I've only pasted the URL, nothing else, but this is what shows up!

Could it be that WhatsApp is "injecting" this as an ad?!

Last edited:
What gets returned if you use 'curl' to download the linked content to command line? Is this some header that WhatsApp is injecting from the link page as a preview?

Just tested with a direct link using my own domain (not QC or synology.me) to Drive shared document. I don't see any text like you've shown.

Some progress…

I tried it on the 118 where we have our own domain. The same.

However, this time I noticed that the advertisement pops up after I paste the link with an x.
If I click on that x before I send, it goes away, then I tap send and the url is sent plain with no advert!
The same on the other DS with the synology.me domain. But I've just noticed it now.

I can't recall that this was happening before, but I'm not 100% sure. Anyway, at least there is a way to get rid of it.

Again, this happens with WhatsApp (I hate this thing a hateful hate), it doesn't happen when I send using iMessage.

Thanks @fredbert.

I noticed that the advertisement pops up after I paste the link with an x.
If I click on that x before I send, it goes away, then I tap send and the url is sent plain with no advert!
The same on the other DS with the synology.me domain. But I've just noticed it now.
IIRC, clicking the "x" only closes it on your display. The recipient will still be spammed. Check it out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.