Share photo/video to Plex from Syno Photos folder - how to?

Currently reading
Share photo/video to Plex from Syno Photos folder - how to?

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi all,
I have latest Plex (manual update) and would like to add Synology Photos folder to Plex library.

When I go to first folder under "Photo" I see nothing more:

1644687287748.png

and once finished no files (photo, videos) are detected.

Videos working in Plex are in different folder ( Media ):

1644687390884.png

I believe there is issue with read/write rights for Plex user.

Do you know what should I change in DSM 7 in order to have Photo folder from Synology Photos working under Plex? :)

You need to select "System internal user" and give "PlexMediaServer" permission to your folder, if you havn't allready done so:

Select "Control panel" | Shared folder | select your folder | edit
Under "Permissions", change "Local users" to "System internal user" (See red arrow) and find "PlexMediaServer"

Attachments

• PlexMediaServer.png
    PlexMediaServer.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 288
OK, for main folder called "Photo" I was able to give internal user permission.
But inside there is subfolder where I`m not able to select this kind of permissions.

1644864370985.png

1644864385385.png

And in Plex when selecting "/volume1/photo/E&M zdjęcia" it fetches nothing.

Any further tips? :)

OK, for main folder called "Photo" I was able to give internal user permission.
But inside there is subfolder where I`m not able to select this kind of permissions.

View attachment 5399

View attachment 5400

And in Plex when selecting "/volume1/photo/E&M zdjęcia" it fetches nothing.

Any further tips? :)
Ups, from what I recall this looks like DSM6?
So I probably lead you in a wrong direction.
Hopefully someone else know how to.
Sorry about that.

If you go to Control Panel -> Shared Folder and look at photo's actions, do you see Convert to Windows ACL greyed out?
1644922560784.png

The difference between screen shots in this thread is that you have Unix permissions enabled on photos and @speedmaster has Windows ACL permissions. With ACLs you can specifically permit or deny access to individual users, regardless of their group assignments. Plus ACLs will override the Unix file system permissions.

I have given read-only access PlexMediaServer system user to /volume1/photo. But then we only use the shared photo album for non-contentious stuff that we are happy for any Plex user to see (only Plex home accounts). In fact it's only really used to enable Plex to display photos on the TV.

You could add more ACLs in photo to block Plex access from some folders.

I met the same problem with my 218play after I decided to use Synology Photo and upgraded to DSM 7.

Synology Photo uses internal system folder /volume1/photo and Plex cannot access it even if the permissions has been granted.
I spent couple days to solve it, moving all my photos in and out this folder.

Finally the way posted under the link below worked for me:

How to create a symbolic link to a folder on a Synology NAS – albertogonzalez.net

I put all of my photos to /volume1/photo, created new shared folder and named it PlexPhoto (/volume1/PlexPhoto), gave read/write permissions to the PlexMediaServer user, and then created symlink in this folder pointing to volume1/photo. Symlink works fine, if I open the new share in the FileStation it shows the content of /volume1/photo inside the new PlexPhoto share folder.
In the Plex control panel I re-created library and pointed it to the /volume1/PlexPhoto, and it is able to scan it now.
If you try to use this method be advised that /volume1/PlexPhoto is not the same as /volume1/plexphoto.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.