Currently reading
Shared Email box

WST16

NAS
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
negatives/disadvantages/hardships
Yes. For you it’s all of the above :)
Disadvantages, negative and lots of hardship :D

No. Seriously now. If it’s just for the bills thing, don’t do it. If @fredbert solution worked stick with it. My advice. Others might disagree.

WST16

NAS
DS216+II : DS118 : APC Back UPS ES 700 — Mac/iOS user
Let me clarify. I don’t mean to be disrespectful. I mean that you’re already busy and stressed as is not to add another thing to maintain and monitor if it’s for that simple matter.

But if you decide to do it. We’re here to help as much as we can.

fredbert

What are the negatives/disadvantages/hardships with running your own mailserver?
You are the admin. You rely on the ISP connection and your infrastructure being available. It's doable but can be overkill. When it goes wrong/corrupted mailboxes it's a major pain. You have to be sure that you're not running a relay.

However, there's the alternative which is to use an 'admin' mail client to manage incoming mail with accounts on an external (normal) IMAP/SMTP service. You just run a suitable mail client in a logged in PC/Mac account on an always-on device. Then setup rules and accounts as needed, you can redirect elsewhere or move to other inboxes. You don't use this for everyday email access, it's like a Post Office.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.