Shared folder migration slow speed

Currently reading
Shared folder migration slow speed

NAS
DS918+,DS716+ii
I've got a DS918+ and I've setup a new volume with 3 x 8TB Drives (SHR) to replace my single 10TB drive volume (long story short but eff'd up the initial setup as I didn't understand RAID).

I'm now trying to transfer my data over by moving my various Share folders to the new volume but my transfer speeds in going at KB/s - is this normal? I started with one of the smaller shares that's only ~350 GB.

2022-09-05 12_02_07-NAS.png

I've have just noticed that Storage Analyser now says it's checking Checking Parity Consistency and Checking The Drives In The Background. Is this part of the new volume setup or part of the Share move? Assuming it's the former, can I expect my transfer speeds to pick up when that's done?
2022-09-05 12_10_33-NAS.png

Cheers, guys.

Solution
Correct on all fronts. Parity has a huge IOPS performance hit, so it will pick up for sure. Still, if your "various" data container a huge number or small size files, transfers will still be slower then when transferring large ones.
Correct on all fronts. Parity has a huge IOPS performance hit, so it will pick up for sure. Still, if your "various" data container a huge number or small size files, transfers will still be slower then when transferring large ones.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thanks for confirming - an hour later and the Share move is now at 20% but the parity check has only gone from 6% to nearly 8%.

I won't be moving any more Shares until that's done!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.