DSM 7.0 Shared folder permissions of /photo

NAS
DS224+, RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
I recently upgraded from DSM 6 to DSM 7. I noticed that the shared folder /photo permissions look a lot different than all other shared folders, when in file station/right click/permissions. I'm wondering why did all other shared folders update when coming over to DSM 7 and /photo didn't? This caught my attention, because I am trying to browse /photo by file station, but I do not have permissions to do it. On the root folder the permissions for my users are there, but when you go into the sub folders, the permissions there are owner only.

I'm in the process of moving my /photo data to a temp folder. I am then going to turn off all the shared spaces options in Synology Photos, make sure /photo is removed, and then I'm going to turn it back on to see if there's a difference (now that I'm typing this I could actually do this in my vDSM).

Anyway, are you guys seeing the same?

1639766411044.png

1639766465152.png

-- post merged: --

I just turned off shared space and deleted the /photo folder, which was initially created in DSM 6. I then turned shared space back on and the system created a new /photo folder. It indeed is different, here is the new view of folder permissions for /photo.

1639766840965.png

Solution
I have given my normal user read-only access by File Station (and so SMB).

Yes when you give access, at the root folder in file station, it would only let me see the folders in the root /photo folder. I could not access the sub folders.

Additionally, clearly by deleting the /photo folder and then having Synology Photos recreate it, the permissions screen of /photo in file station are completely different. Its as if the /photo folder did not update when I brought it to dsm 7.

Take a look at my previous screenshot after I recreated the /photo folder, compared to the previous screenshot.

Additionally, now when I got into the sub folders of /photo I can add permissions of individuals users. Whereas before it had...
Synology Photos wants to own this shared folder. Though it's a bit odd because if a user in SynoPhotos creates a folder in the shared space and copies in files from their personal space then the folder and files are owned by them (as in the OS user owns it).

1639767079534.png

I think it's trying to stop users from circumventing the SynoPhotos shared space access permission by using File Station. But there is probably nothing to stop you from adding a known user to have write access in File Station and copying/move en mass your photos. I have given my normal user read-only access by File Station (and so SMB).

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I have given my normal user read-only access by File Station (and so SMB).

Yes when you give access, at the root folder in file station, it would only let me see the folders in the root /photo folder. I could not access the sub folders.

Additionally, clearly by deleting the /photo folder and then having Synology Photos recreate it, the permissions screen of /photo in file station are completely different. Its as if the /photo folder did not update when I brought it to dsm 7.

Take a look at my previous screenshot after I recreated the /photo folder, compared to the previous screenshot.

Additionally, now when I got into the sub folders of /photo I can add permissions of individuals users. Whereas before it had 3 options of owner, group and something else; these were all disabled and could not be modified.

Go into file station, and right click on /photo, go into properties and permissions from there. Not from shared folder in control panel

Upvote 0
Solution
I think it's trying to stop users from circumventing the SynoPhotos shared space access permission by using File Station. But there is probably nothing to stop you from adding a known user to have write access in File Station and copying/move en mass your photos. I have given my normal user read-only access by File Station (and so SMB).

Seems like you need to set permissions in both file station (for file station & SMB views) and then again in Synology Photos shared space for Synology Photos access.

That's a nightmare to manage. Anytime you create a folder in synology photos and set permissions, you'll have to go to file station and do the same there. Otherwise users without permissions in photos to a specific folder, can just go to file station or smb to access what you denied. So be sure to maintain permissions in both places.

Upvote 0
I am having similar issues with /photos, and with at least two other shared folders - and Windows 10. I am on the verge of backing up all the data, wiping the drive and reinstalling DSM. Something, somewhere, is setting permissions that disallow W10 SMB connections to certain shared folders (but not all shared folders). Will post about this separately, but want to say the info here is helping me look at some aspects of it.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.