Question Shared folder structure for backup from multiple sites

Currently reading
Question Shared folder structure for backup from multiple sites

Greetings!

In a security perspective, what would be the best shared folder structure for backups coming from different sites? We plan on using Synology Drive to backup certain files/folders to a central NAS.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone!

welcome in this forum,
first, Syno Drive isn’t a primary backup solution, but there is data syncing services (Drive ShareSync) that you can use as “first” level of backup scheme.

For better understanding of your expectations:
1. What is a source for backup of certain files/folders to a central NAS:
a) personal computers, smartphones, tablets
b) or another NAS

Then we will prepare a proper solution.

Hi @jeyare , thank you for the clarifying questions.

We opted for Syno Drive as our backup application because we were not able to find the ability to specify files/folders when performing backup on the Active Backup for Business application of Synology. Aside from that, we are also looking into upload these backup to a cloud-based backup service - looking into Backblaze B2 unless a better option is available.

1. What is a source for backup of certain files/folders to a central NAS:
We will just be backing up regular files from office workstations - Word, Excel files and the database of our clinic's . And these offices are located on different locations.

With the rise of ransomware attacks, we are trying to arrive at a solution where 'what-if' one of the computers got infected with a ransomware and files gets encrypted. We don't want that to cascade into the NAS shared folder so we would like to ask everyone's recommendation on the right structure to use.

And if there is still a step we missed, please don't hesitate to let us know.

Thank you!

Backing up - expected scenario foundation:

1. Source A. - office workstations (OSs)
Selected folders or files in workstation tree

2. Source B. - (also workstations or "unknown" - please write here)
database of our clinic's (kind of DB, avg. data size)

Sources A. & B. - multiple geo location - Pls. define an existing data connection speed (real, not a billed).

Target:
Centralized NAS

Follow 3-2-1 approach:

1. Use Synology Drive Backup folders as feature for 1st instance of (versioned) data sync from the workstation into NAS target. It can helps you to "restore" immediately every single files from your NAS in readable format to any action.
It is up to you how you will run a policy what folders you will cover by this attitude. But you have take into consideration, that there is no automated process of source folder selection:
- you have to manually install each Synology Drive client (Win, Mac, Lnx)
- then you have to manually setup the client connection, properties
- then you have to manually setup "Backup tasks"
- all the backup task can be run in these modes:
a) Continuous (automatic whenever changes are made)
b) Manual (whenever user click Back up now in Drive client console)
c) Scheduled

Note:
Drive Backup task only allows one connection to one server at a time. Then you can't use multiple NAS targets (what isn't in your scope).
If you tick Keep locally deleted files on the remote backup destination folder, deleting local files/folders will not affect data that has already been backed up to your remote destination.

Conclusion:
When one of the computers got infected with a ransomware and files gets encrypted, your data in NAS is safe place, till you got infected the NAS by other ransomware. Then keep all security steps into consideration. You can find all recommendations in this forum. Right place for you.

All important info you can find in official Synology Drive KB - here

PS: backup is backup, then you have to count with:
- second places of data for a restoration purposes. Then you can use Hyper Backup to backup the Target NAS into another NAS.
- also you can use Synology Drive ShareSync between 2 NASs (your target NAS and another NAS). Then you will get "realtime" copy of your data from target NAS (sourced from Drive client backup tasks) to another NAS. You can read more here.

I will wait for your response re: DB backup

Sources A, B & C:
  • Windows 10 OS on all workstations
  • Directory to be backed up
    • My Documents (Word and Excel Files)
    • Less that 1GB in size
  • One computer has a shared folder which contains our clinic software
    • Software performs daily backup and is stored on a separate drive.
    • Not sure what type of database the software is using.
    • Backup drive will be included on the backup scheme to Syno NAS.
    • Backup folder is around 50GB containing a weeks worth of backup.
Location of Sources A, B & C:
  • Within the same city but we will be expanding to a different city soon and would like to have those branches included to the backup scheme as well.
Connection Speed:
  • All Sources have 100Mbps DWN 30Mbps UP bandwidth.
Hope this gives you a more detailed view of our situation.

Thanks again!

• Directory to be backed up
    • My Documents (Word and Excel Files)
    • Less that 1GB in size

To be sure - In Drive Backup task setup:
- you can select multiple folders in your workstation file system tree
- you can't make filter what files = what Filename extension you will put into the task, picture below will help you to understand the filtration. Then you have 2 option:
a) hard type every Filename extension, what you need exclude from the task (your expected file types are Word and Excel)
b) or use smart count - how much time you spend with what added value :cool:

1570522321330.png

• One computer has a shared folder which contains our clinic software
    • Software performs daily backup and is stored on a separate drive.
    • Not sure what type of database the software is using.
    • Backup drive will be included on the backup scheme to Syno NAS.
    • Backup folder is around 50GB containing a weeks worth of backup.

So, do you need backup "one computer" specific source contains:
- the shared folder which contains our clinic software
- or daily/weekly backup from the separate drive.

For the DB or Clinic SW backup purpose I would like to recommend you to speak with the SW provider. Because there is a possible scenario, that single saved file will not help you in restoration process.

But if there is suitable scenario to backup single (mentioned shared) folder approx. 10GB/Day (50GB/week) you can also use Drive backup Folder. You have count that with 30Mbps upload it will take 10x1024x8/30/60= 46minutes and more, up to your IPS performance conditions.

My consideration - if a clinic (doesn't matter for people or for animals) has system corrupted or malfunctioned, there is a big problem for an operation staff :) . In these digital days absolutely.

Then take into consideration:
- single medium NAS to every branch with BTRFS support - here is a list of supported NAS
- all sensitive local workstation data must be stored in the local NAS shared folders. Then Synology Drive is perfect tool for that
- for data availability use RAID1 with 2 disks. If you will proper calculate volume of the disk group you will get right and fast "restart" of standard operation of your branch
- use 3rd bay as Spare disk for the RAID1. It will help you just be informed, that your RAID is degraded and automatically renewed by spare disk. This single spare disk investment can save more than you can imagine (working time, nervous calls, ...).
- use 4th bay for local backup of the RAID (it will enough when you will use remote backup also) by Synology Hyper Backup. Also for Clinic SW backup.
- for 2nd instance of data backup use Central NAS + local copy to different medium than NAS. Then you can use Snapshot/Replication also as perfect tool for Backup mastering. There is the prerequisite to use BTRFS in source NAS.
- and when you will be rich enough, you can setup on/off site HA cluster.
This solution is still in low cost TCO level (in comparison with monthly cost of the single doctor), but automated.

Proposed solution & cost:
local NAS DS918+ .... be aware, there is still open problem with Intel CPU problems (not for Synology, but for every kind of vendors of laptops, AiO, NAS, ...). You can read more in this forum.
440 Eur in my country (excl. VAT), all the Syno licences are free of charge.
local NAS disks cost
Central NAS + disks cost

@jeyare - Wow! Those are a lot of things that we were not able to think about. And your recommendation on putting in a local Syno on each site is actually a good one - centralized storage/backup and instant recovery of files if ever. We will surely put that on our list. Most specially the 'rich enough' part 😁

For the meantime, we will have to do with computers getting backed up directly to the central Syno. With that, should each site have their own shared folder? Or one main shared folder and each site under it?

Thanks!

For the clean future actions is better to divide each site to independent shared folder. Then you can migrate the independent share folder to different disk group comfortably (if needed). In Drive admin console you will manage each the tasks/ activity/versioning/.... independently.

For the clean future actions is better to divide each site to independent shared folder. Then you can migrate the independent share folder to different disk group comfortably (if needed). In Drive admin console you will manage each the tasks/ activity/versioning/.... independently.

Point taken. Will surely consider this as well as your other recommendations into our backup plan.

Thank you!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.