Question Shared Folder Sync permissions

NAS
DS213j, DS115j
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

I'm using the Shared Folder Sync feature to replicate shared folders between 2 NAS devices (shocker!).

The problem I'm having is that the permissions on the replicated folders (on the 'target' NAS) are changed or reset after each sync.
I want to be able to access / copy data from the replicated folder, but whenever I grant a user read access to the replicated folder it is removed with the next run of the sync job.
It's quite a strange problem as I can't seem to see any consistency in the permission changes - I have two folders setup this way and they differ in their 'enforced' permissions.

Is this the expected behaviour of Shared Folder Sync?
If so, what alternatives could I use to get around this?

Thanks.

whenever I grant a user read access to the replicated folder it is removed with the next run of the sync job.

I'm not seeing this. For me all permissions carryover from the source folder. When you grant permissions to the target share, are they for the same exact user as for the source share? If user1 and user2 have permissions on the source, you cannot grant user3 immutable permissions on the target.

I'm not seeing this. For me all permissions carryover from the source folder. When you grant permissions to the target share, are they for the same exact user as for the source share? If user1 and user2 have permissions on the source, you cannot grant user3 immutable permissions on the target.

Thanks for taking a look!
The user I'm looking to add to the target share don't exist on the source share.

Excuse my ignorance here, but why can't this be done?
I just want the content of the folders sync'd, not the permissions.
The two NAS's are on different networks but are connected via VPN, so the existing users on both NAS's are different.
This (currently) doesn't make much sense to me. Why would I have identical users across different NAS devices?

why can't this be done?
By default rsync uses the username and groupname to determine the ownership of files on the remote system. If that same username exists on the remote system, that user will own the remote file.

When no matching username is present on the remote system, rsync will preserve the underlying UID/GID numbers and the UID number of the username on the source is used to set the remote owner.

When you change permissions, the next rsync will refresh username and groupname, preserving ownership in the remote system.

By default rsync uses the username and groupname to determine the ownership of files on the remote system. If that same username exists on the remote system, that user will own the remote file.

When no matching username is present on the remote system, rsync will preserve the underlying UID/GID numbers and the UID number of the username on the source is used to set the remote owner.

When you change permissions, the next rsync will refresh username and groupname, preserving ownership in the remote system.

Thanks very much, this does explain the behaviour I've been seeing.
Creating a new group and user on both NAS's seems to have solved my problem.

I have exactly the same issue. For an unknow reason when the rysnc process is finished all the accesss rights on the target system is removed. Impossible to find the root cause of this issue. Already tried multiple time to recreate everything and using other accounts but the issue remain.

Did anyone was able to solve this behavior?

Just tried it without success, the behavior is exactly the same. Also opened an incident to Synology and hope getting news from them.
Hi seekerjoy, were you able to get an answer from Synology? I was about to open a ticket as well.
We have 3 identical NAS (DS1819+), the Primary NAS performs an rsync of all shared folders to both secondary NAS. Only one of the slave NAS is problematic (loses permissions on the shared folder after a sync), the other one is fine.

I trippled checked to make sure the spelling of usernames and password is the same on all NAS and it is. This part doesn't make much sense to me as all NAS has their own Usernames and password (we created the same Username and password on all NAS so our users can access whichever NAS is closer to them using the same credentials)

DSM VERSION
Primary NAS + Secondary NAS 1= DSM ver 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Secondary NAS 2 which is problematic was upgraded to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 but still experiencing problem, I would say its even worst now as other folders which we didn't have issues with prior to DSM update is now experiencing the same.

I deleted one of the shared folder on problematic slave NAS 2, performed full sync to have the shared folder recreated, but still have same problem (after a sync, all permissions are lost).

Last edited:
Hi seekerjoy, were you able to get an answer from Synology? I was about to open a ticket as well.
We have 3 identical NAS (DS1819+), the Primary NAS performs an rsync of all shared folders to both secondary NAS. Only one of the slave NAS is problematic (loses permissions on the shared folder after a sync), the other one is fine.

I trippled checked to make sure the spelling of usernames and password is the same on all NAS and it is. This part doesn't make much sense to me as all NAS has their own Usernames and password (we created the same Username and password on all NAS so our users can access whichever NAS is closer to them using the same credentials)

DSM VERSION
Primary NAS + Secondary NAS 1= DSM ver 6.2.3-25426 Update 2

Secondary NAS 2 which is problematic was upgraded to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 but still experiencing problem, I would say its even worst now as other folders which we didn't have issues with prior to DSM update is now experiencing the same.

I deleted one of the shared folder on problematic slave NAS 2, performed full sync to have the shared folder recreated, but still have same problem (after a sync, all permissions are lost).
In fact they closed the incident because for them this is a configuration issue. Re-openned another one in order to get a reply.

The solution I've found is to give full access rights on the target system, which in a security point of view is clearly not acceptable.

The support finally provided a solution. As usual in the technology world an upgrade solved it.

An upgrade of my two NAS to the last release 7.1 completely solved the issue. You will have to get the firmware directly on the Synology website and do a manual upgrade.

Hope it will help you :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.