shared folder sync

Currently reading
shared folder sync

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
My question is with regards to Remote Snapshot Replication, rsync & Shared Sync Folder.

NAS01 - OfficeA

NAS02 - OfficeB

Goal is to sync a shared folder "projects" from OfficeA to OfficeB

1. Synology Shared Sync Server - connection established using public ip (DDNS) and port forwarding. This is actually taking for ever to sync 180GB of data. I initilized a local copy of the folder using teracopy and then started the sync however this is taking forever.

2. is rsync a better & faster option?

2. Remote Snapshot Replication - I replicated the folder to the remote nas. I deleted the connection and created a new connection but the replication created a new shared folder at the destination with the name "Folder-1". is it possible for replication to use the same folder at the remote destination.

I presume both NAS are Synology.

If you need 2-way sync, the Synology Drive ShareSync is your best (only?) outcome.

For one-way sync, Shared Folder Sync, and Hyper Backup are your choices.

There is another option besides Drive, if you are like me and cannot live with the disadvantages of Drive.

You can setup a bidirectional Cloud Sync between the two NAS using the WEBDAV server on the nas.

Start with setup of the webdav on NAS02:

then setup a cloud sync task on NAS01 for your project folder using the setup for Webdav target:

you will probably have to forward the correct port on the destination router to the port of NAS02.

As always: run the security advisor, use long passwords. Set firewall rules on both nas that only these specific external ip numbers can use the ports and webdav.

@Telos how do I use Hyper Backup for one way sync?

U know you can use google or something right?

This won't be a realtime sync unlike Cloud Sync (and Drive, and Shared folder Sync) suggested by @EAZ1964

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.