NAS
DS220j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi everyone,

on my linux machine (Mageia) I would like one user (let's say, user1) to be able to access one directory on the NAS (DS220j).

This directory should be mountable by user1.

Do I need to define a user named user1 on the NAS (in DSM) ?

Or shall I create another user (e.g. user1_NAS) on the NAS control panel and use these credentials to allow user1 to access the directory ?

Basically I want only user1 to see and be able to access the directory on the NAS...

Thanks !!!
V

Yes, best to create a user on the nas, name is not important.
As you will manage the folder acces permissions via the user on the nas, it is best to create a name on the nas that is clear that this is the linux user.
You can use SMB as well, this is for most users a bit less complicated setup on both linux and nas end.

thank you EAZ for your reply.

It is important for me that only one given user on the linux machine gets access to the directory on the NAS.
I don't unterstand where I shall configure this in linux... (MAgeia)

Typically I mount smb via /etc/fstab, but this is a system setting, not user specific.
for user specific mounts use the tips as given here:

Ok, thanks for your reply.
But it must be possible to define user permissions.

How may I configure the NAS and the client machine (linux) so that user1 on the client machine is the only one with access to directory1 ??

thank you !!!

Last edited:
Use smb in stead of nfs,
Set the uid of the syno identical to the uid of the linux machine. (not very secure)
You need to cat the /etc/passwd file on your NAS and get the UID of the user. Then on the desktop change the user's UID to match the same as the synology one.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.