Shlink.io Great Docker to short urls !

Currently reading
Shlink.io Great Docker to short urls !

Last edited:
Regarding issues 1) yes you will have to add a CNAME record towards your public ip address or DDNS name of your NAS. This is the first step that you have to do in order to push visitors towards your NAS and shlink instance.
1600359822038.png

Next, you will have to set up a reverse proxy for your bjsa.cc domain and redirect it to your shlink container.

More on this here: Synology Reverse Proxy
1600359966135.png

I don't have a certification for bjsa.cc. Is imperative to get one, and if yes, could I create it at synology?

Regarding question 2). Can’t you simply log into those servers and use the delete link on the page to remove them?

Unfortunately not. This is the problem I posted more above. Here is a gif showing the issue I'm talking about.

1600360342198.png

I am no sure, why your set "bjsa.cc" as a subdomain and assume it would be usable as a full quallified domain name.... When you register bjsa.cc as a subdomain (this is what you do!), the actual fqdn you registerd is bsja.cc.{yourdomain}. The fqdn is what you need to use as source hostname in the reverse proxy settings.

I am no sure, why your set "bjsa.cc" as a subdomain and assume it would be usable as a full quallified domain name.... When you register bjsa.cc as a subdomain (this is what you do!), the actual fqdn you registerd is bsja.cc.{yourdomain}. The fqdn is what you need to use as source hostname in the reverse proxy settings.
Where I set bjsa.cc as a subdomain? What did I set wrong in the reverse proxy? How it should be? I get a little confusing if I get your point. Sorry, but with other words I could get further and thanks for your comment.

Where I set bjsa.cc as a subdomain? What did I set wrong in the reverse proxy? How it should be? I get a little confusing if I get your point. Sorry, but with other words I could get further and thanks for your comment.
Good point @one-eyed-king! I didnt even noticed that the cname was configured that way.

@butala what is the actual domain where you registered your cname? As King posted you will need to add bjsa.cc.xxxx.xx to make this work. So again what is the root domain you have registered this bjsa.cc?

Good point @one-eyed-king! I didnt even noticed that the cname was configured that way.

@butala what is the actual domain where you registered your cname? As King posted you will need to add bjsa.cc.xxxx.xx to make this work. So again what is the root domain you have registered this bjsa.cc?
Sorry for the ignorance, where should I look for this info?

Last edited:
Where you went and configured your CNAME bjsa.cc. You have logged into a DNS registry of your root domain, so what is it?
Don't know what you mean with "root domain" and logging into "dns registry". I bought this domain at godaddy and that's all. And the info I get access to my domain is as seen in the snapshots.
1600530094204.png

1600530118572.png

Don't know what you mean with "root domain" and logging into "dns registry". I bought this domain at godaddy and that's all. And the info I get access to my domain is as seen in the snapshots.
View attachment 2132
View attachment 2133
ok then just correct that cname to a value of shlink pointing to your synology.me address. So instead of bjsa.cc enter shlink.

when that is done, your full address will be shlink.bjsa.cc and use that inside your reverse proxy settings.

ok then just correct that cname to a value of shlink pointing to your synology.me address. So instead of bjsa.cc enter shlink.

when that is done, your full address will be shlink.bjsa.cc and use that inside your reverse proxy settings.
All done.
Now I'm intrigued: the short domain name becomes a longer one, and with a "shlink" that seem to keep fixed (not dynamic, i.e. one chose by me). What happened with just keeping "bjsa.cc" (yes, because this is the purpose I chose a short name)? Maybe something that I should have done (or even from the beginning) and didn't? I just want to understand a little about this scenario, including root domain, and the domain i bought evolved.

All done.
Now I'm intrigued: the short domain name becomes a longer one, and with a "shlink" that seem to keep fixed (not dynamic, i.e. one chose by me). What happened with just keeping "bjsa.cc" (yes, because this is the purpose I chose a short name)? Maybe something that I should have done (or even from the beginning) and didn't? I just want to understand a little about this scenario, including root domain, and the domain i bought evolved.
Considering that you are pushing requests towards a synology.me domain you need to use an alias. Ok if this is now too long for your taste, then just add a single letter instead of "shlink". You can add s as an cname value and you will end up with s.bjsa.cc. Is this short enough for you?

You could use bjsa.cc as an alias but in that case, add @ as a value for your synology.me instead of s or shlink. If your DNS register supports this it will make it work so you can use bjsa.cc as your alias.

All done.
Considering that you are pushing requests towards a synology.me domain you need to use an alias. Ok if this is now too long for your taste, then just add a single letter instead of "shlink". You can add s as an cname value and you will end up with s.bjsa.cc. Is this short enough for you?

You could use bjsa.cc as an alias but in that case, add @ as a value for your synology.me instead of s or shlink. If your DNS register supports this it will make it work so you can use bjsa.cc as your alias.
Ok, gradually I understand the concept of this thing, it makes sense maintaining a alias present instead a "@" for the domain. So it makes flexible for further implementation, on top of that dns register does not support "@" for cname.
I experimented changing alias name for the dns and all worked. I'm wondering if I could hypothetically, due to the flexibility of alias name, create multiple alias for the same shlink instance, so following questions came in:
1- Is it possible to create multiple alias for the same shlink container adding for example, multiple environment variables, or is it restricted to one shlink container for each alias created?
2- I noticed when altering alias, all previous short links stored under shlink web ui reflected this promptly. So, how would it be reflected for a scenario when multiple alias is applyed? Can it be stored under the same server created in web ui, or a separate server for each alias name must be created ?
3- To close this subject, there is the issue pending with those servers that can´t be erased thru web ui, how can we fix it?

1- Is it possible to create multiple alias for the same shlink container adding for example, multiple environment variables, or is it restricted to one shlink container for each alias created?
Regarding DNS yes but with shlink it might not work considering that there is a variable that is fixed to a single address (the one that will be your final short public link)

2- I noticed when altering alias, all previous short links stored under shlink web ui reflected this promptly. So, how would it be reflected for a scenario when multiple alias is applyed? Can it be stored under the same server created in web ui, or a separate server for each alias name must be created ?
That’s what I answered in the previous quote. Still it might work or it might not.

3- To close this subject, there is the issue pending with those servers that can´t be erased thru web ui, how can we fix it?
Works case, recreate the container again. Also, are you using the config file for the servers?

Regarding DNS yes but with shlink it might not work considering that there is a variable that is fixed to a single address (the one that will be your final short public link)

That’s what I answered in the previous quote. Still it might work or it might not.
Ok.

Works case, recreate the container again. Also, are you using the config file for the servers?
This should not be a problem anyway, but it would be more elegant if the servers info could be reset, and yes they must be stored somewhere. Don't know if you ever asked yourself where those server info are stored. Just curious.
Yes, I'm using the config file for the servers info, but as you know I created all the servers but the last one with no config file previously created, so where did the server data go after all?

Ok.

This should not be a problem anyway, but it would be more elegant if the servers info could be reset, and yes they must be stored somewhere. Don't know if you ever asked yourself where those server info are stored. Just curious.
Yes, I'm using the config file for the servers info, but as you know I created all the servers but the last one with no config file previously created, so where did the server data go after all?
By default all the data if not used via the JSON file is stored in your browser. If you were to visit the same site with a different device and browser you would see that you would have to save the connection again. This is the reason why Shlink can be configured to use the JSON server file, so you don't have to keep registering your shlink server with your current browser on multiple devices. More info on this here: Shlink - The URL shortener — Documentation

Also on your previous questions about multiple domains. Shlink by the looks of it does support it. Have a look here: shlinkio/shlink under Multiple Domain section. personally I would rather just start up a separate container for each domain but that is just me (more clean imho).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.