NAS
DS1019+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Hi ! I ve found this beauty Shlink - The URL shortener and I would like to share here.
Is a really beautifull URL shortener. Has 2 dockers, one is the server (no UI), and the seconth is a Web client to operate with it.
It has https support, statistics, you can create a temporal url, etc... Take a look at hte webpage.

About running the dockers, not difficult, but you need some knowledge about URL redirects / CNAME if you plan to buy a cheap domain to create URLS.

Nothing else, any question I ll try to help, i ve got it running and works fine.

;)

I'm just curious what you guys use a URL shortener for?
To make long disgusting links nice and clean. Also it’s a lot easier to even remember some frequently used ones by heart.

Another benefit is that you can change the long url in the background without having to change the short one. For example a link has changed but you have posted a short one to 1000 people. You only change the long url and boom, done. End users don’t like broken links or change so... :)

Can one of you help with a simple guide on how to install this one please.
I had no luck with yourls and gave up on it.

Thanks in advance :)
I have half of an article/tutorial written. Should be posted today.

Last edited:
@WST16 Yesterday I didn't manage to post it, so here it is today. Ask if you get into trouble.

Wow! Looks like I got lucky with this one. It’s running, nice :)
Thanks a lot.

Few questions pls:

If I’m using a port for my RP, how can I incorporate that into the generated (shortened) URL? I don’t think it’s possible. Of course I can edit and add it so not a big deal if it’s not doable. The other solution is to use 443 to eliminate the need to specify a port.

Every time the web client container is shut off, I’ll need to enter the server name, URL and API key again when accessing it after I bring it up. Can I tell it to remember those entries and save them?

The QR code is not generated (the actual QR picture). Am I missing something?

EDIT:
Solved the first one by adding the port to the environment variable SHORT_DOMAIN_HOST (ip address: port).

Discovered that I’m actually asked to enter the server details every time I use the web client to connect to it, not just when it’s bounced.

The other solution is to use 443 to eliminate the need to specify a port.
I would go that route

The QR code is not generated (the actual QR picture). Am I missing something?
Could it be a browser problem? Works for me out of the box, no special config needed.

Discovered that I’m actually asked to enter the server details every time I use the web client to connect to it, not just when it’s bounced.
Have you read and configured web client container with a servers.json file to configure your server accessible from any browser.

Could it be a browser problem? Works for me out of the box, no special config needed.
I’ve tried Safari on the Mac and on the iPad, still no QR code. Not a big deal. I don’t need it.

Have you read and configured web client container with a servers.json file to configure your server accessible from any browser.
I didn’t do any server’s json. I read that it’s optional so I left it alone, since my stuff seemed working :)

I didn’t do any server’s json. I read that it’s optional so I left it alone, since my stuff seemed working
You will have to configure it with a file mapping if you don't want to enter your server parameters over and over.

I’ve tried Safari on the Mac and on the iPad, still no QR code. Not a big deal. I don’t need it.
So the pop up jumps out just no QR code? Might be an idea to post it on the Git site, could be a bug in specific cases.

The QR problem magically fixed itself and now the QR is generated!

Maybe it needed time to warm up to my Docker implementation. Most likely it had a nervous breakdown initially when it saw my rusty and clunky Docker containers with their ports open and flying in every direction but finally reached the acceptance phase and now it’s in the f it, I’ll run mode :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.