Should DSM (and App?) upgrades always be revertable?

Currently reading
Should DSM (and App?) upgrades always be revertable?

Should DSM upgrades without a reversion path ever be allowed?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
NAS
DS1019+
Hi folks. This may prove a controversial question... I'm interested in getting a feel for Synology users' views.

Should DSM (and App/Package?) upgrades always be revertable? I.e. should it always be possible to revert to your previous system state soon after an upgrade?

I ask because it seems that the DSM 7 upgrade (from DSM 6.x) is irreversible! (And maybe? that's Synology's usual approach?)
I gather that even a Restore from a Hyper Backup won't work (though I've not tested that myself).

What do others think?

I will not upgrade to DSM7 anytime soon.
I've heard nightmare stories already and I do NOT have the space on other devices to back up my DS1520+ to another drive, install DSM7, then move everything back in order to ensure there are no issues during "larger" system upgrades. Doing a 6.2.x to 6.3.x for instance does not bother me much. DSM6 -> DSM7 does.

When the kinks with the upgrades and supported apps are worked out, I'll think about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.