Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
So, for a user like me (moderate number of devices at home, 1 NAS, not streaming ...) you think R2600 is ok?

Or is 1900 enough? But it's kind of old... Then TP-LINK Archer C9 should be a better choice.

Not to mention what I have now from my ISP. Well, it's working, but...

IMHO, RT2600AC is great for SOHO environments, especially when users are not tech-savvy. SRM interface is intuitive enough for novice users, uses plain english instead of tech mumbo-jumbo not everyone is into.

As far as "advanced configuration" goes, sure, there are better options in that price range (i.e. Mikrotik), but if you need advanced/specific stuff, then you probably already know what you are (not) getting with RT2600AC.

I've had 2 TP-Link Archer 2800s, and had problems with them both.

I bought one when I was with a crappy ISP and had problems with internet access failing. I returned it but a few months later I switched ISP so bought another one, hoping it would work better with the new ISP. That one also had a problem with the internet dying and having to keep rebooting it to get it to work.

I then bought a RT2600ac and think it's great. The internet never cuts out, and the web UI is in a different league to any other routers I've seen.

It is a reliable router, but exacts a huge toll if run a third party vpn on it to encrypt all your internet communications. 200 megabit internet connection drops to 30 megabit when using a third party vpn on it. When I use the vpn on the ds918+ and just encrypt those internet transactions, I get 80-100 megabit all the time. So, if you plan on using a vpn on top of your router, I would look elsewhere.

@rgiorgio Do you have an active Intrusion package on it? Asking coz I have a friend that’s using this router without any problem with vpn while having almost no penalty. This kind of penalty he has with IPS package active.

I’ll be getting 2600 and 2200 soon but my vpn needs are already going via ddsm on 918.

No intrusion package running. Google around on vpn issues on the 2600ac and you will see stuff like this: Synology Community I don't know how your friend has his setup performing like that. Maybe he is using weak encryption and not ovpn.
You running openvpn with udp or tcp?

Dragonblood attacks, CVE-2919-9494, and CVE-2019-9496 allow remote attackers to obtain sensitive information or conduct denial-of-service attacks via a susceptible version of Synology Router Manager (SRM).
CVE-2019-9495, CVE-2019-9497, CVE-2019-9498, and CVE-2019-9499 allow remote attackers to obtain sensitive information via a susceptible version of RADIUS Server.

This just popped into my inbox. So at least, whilst vulnerable, Synology work on possible exploits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.