NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Dear friends, I need an advise here...

Long story short, it's time to move from my 2-bay NAS to a new more powerfull and with more bays available. Regarding my budget, at the moment I am OK for a DS1522+ and 2x4TB Ironwolf Pro to add to my existing ones.

I have the chance to get my hands on a DS1621+ that found on a relative good price, around 150 euros above DS1522+ (in Greece's online markets) so the excess to my budget is not so big regarding the total cost of the new NAS and the two new drives as mentioned above.

My question is, should I consider buying the DS1621+ at the moment? It is already two years old (OK, I understand that 2 years are not a big deal on the lifespan of a NAS) but how does it compare to the newest DS1522+? Is there any clear winner assuming that both are in budget?

PS. I am aware of the lack of hw transcoding capabilities on both of them. I handle my media mainly on my android tv box kodi setup (with mapped shared folders from my NAS) and I use Plex only for a relative small collection of around 50 old time classic and favorite movies (all of them at 1020p-x264) that I wish to watch again from time to time. Only local access, both my TVs handle 4K so direct play seems more than enough for my scenario.

Solution
Welcome to the forum!

Well, that comparison is a close call. IMHO I would go for 1522 if that one extra bay is not something that you want/need.

While 1522 does have a CPU that on paper might look slower it is not. It is a 2-core but 4-thread CPU with a higher clock so that is not much difference there. RAM wise, all the same, 2 slots with up to 32, and 1522 come stock with 8GB vs 4GB in 1621. So a plus side there for 1522.

With one USB port less on 1522, everything else is the same. Both units are 10G capable as an optional upgrade and have support for potential nvme cache boost (usable storage polls will not be an option on these models in the future anyway).

So, the 150€ difference is not huge, but also not something...
Welcome to the forum!

Well, that comparison is a close call. IMHO I would go for 1522 if that one extra bay is not something that you want/need.

While 1522 does have a CPU that on paper might look slower it is not. It is a 2-core but 4-thread CPU with a higher clock so that is not much difference there. RAM wise, all the same, 2 slots with up to 32, and 1522 come stock with 8GB vs 4GB in 1621. So a plus side there for 1522.

With one USB port less on 1522, everything else is the same. Both units are 10G capable as an optional upgrade and have support for potential nvme cache boost (usable storage polls will not be an option on these models in the future anyway).

So, the 150€ difference is not huge, but also not something insignificant, considering you are getting a bit better NAS and only losing one bay in the process.

Also, 1522 is a younger model so you will have more DSM compatibility with that model, and with an extra 2y of warranty protection, it will have a 5y in total.

Upvote 0
Solution
Thank you so much. You made things clearer for me...

One last question though, not of a great concern but just to have all information available and cleared in my mind:
As long as Plex is concerned, if I ever decide or wish to watch a movie remotely from internet (let's say at relatives or friends home) we still have to deal with direct play, right? Taking as fact that only 1080p or 720p will be used for streaming on modern smart TVs, from the information that I collected I understand that direct play will be the case. Correct?

Upvote 0
Thank you so much. You made things clearer for me...

One last question though, not of a great concern but just to have all information available and cleared in my mind:
As long as Plex is concerned, if I ever decide or wish to watch a movie remotely from internet (let's say at relatives or friends home) we still have to deal with direct play, right? Taking as fact that only 1080p or 720p will be used for streaming on modern smart TVs, from the information that I collected I understand that direct play will be the case. Correct?
As long as the client can handle the stream, 1522 will be more then a great Plex platform.

Here are a few tests that I have done when I was testing that exact model

Upvote 0
That the DS1522+ comes with 8GB is a good selling point vs the DS 4 and 6 bay units either side of it. Sure Synology RAM modules are overly expensive but there are lots of threads from those wanting to add third party RAM and worrying which is going to work. I don’t run VMs but have a lot of stuff going on my NAS and 8GB means swapping is not happening.

I got the previous DS1520+ because its ££/bay was the same as the DS920+ but it also had the extra RAM. I treat my DS1520+ as a 4+1 bay so I can downgrade to a 4 bay and have a spare bay which has come in useful as a secondary backup point for other devices.

The DS1522+ also can be upgraded to 10GbE using a Synology module (not a bank breaker for this kind of thing, if memory serves me).

Upvote 0
That the DS1522+ comes with 8GB is a good selling point vs the DS 4 and 6 bay units either side of it. Sure Synology RAM modules are overly expensive but there are lots of threads from those wanting to add third party RAM and worrying which is going to work. I don’t run VMs but have a lot of stuff going on my NAS and 8GB means swapping is not happening.

I got the previous DS1520+ because its ££/bay was the same as the DS920+ but it also had the extra RAM. I treat my DS1520+ as a 4+1 bay so I can downgrade to a 4 bay and have a spare bay which has come in useful as a secondary backup point for other devices.

The DS1522+ also can be upgraded to 10GbE using a Synology module (not a bank breaker for this kind of thing, if memory serves me).

So, if I understand correct, you too "vote" for the DS1522+...

Upvote 0
I as well had this conversation with myself about my next NAS purchase in November. Chose to go with the 1522+ as it is cheaper, and I'm going with larger drives so don't need as many bays. Transcoding is not an issue for me, 10 GBE is, I've been pleased with it.

Upvote 0
I had the chance this evening to see a DS1621+ working at a friend's place...
God, its a so... so... so tempting piece of hardware! The build quality is beyond of what I have already got my hands on (DS21x and DS22x devices) and serves excellently my friend's needs for his home and business storage and sharing.
What I want to say is that the most appropriate move for me would be to follow the advise of people here and buy the "new kid on the block" but I really struggle with the sense that DS1621+ is a more robust device, something that you buy once and live with it a long time...
I never expected that choosing my next NAS would be a so difficult decision! About 1000 euros need to be well thought how to be well spent!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.