SHR Expansion one disk first....

Currently reading
SHR Expansion one disk first....

New member here.

So i have a 918+ running SHR with 3 x 6TB Drives (one empty slot) . After installing Moments im now running out of space (a topic for another post)

from what i can see, to increase storage on SHR i need to install 2 larger drives at the same time.

My question is: if i put one 10TB in the empty slot, will it only treat it as a 6TB and increase the capacity as if it were 6TB..... later replace the oldest 6TB with a 10TB and then get the benefit of the two 10TBs?

Welcome!

Considering that you are running with 3 drives in shr, that gives you a capacity of about 12TB atm. Adding another 6TB will shift that ratio to 3+1( redundancy) So there is no need to add 2 more or go with the larger 10TB atm.

You will end up with 18TB cca of space with one drive as redundancy.

New member here.

So i have a 918+ running SHR with 3 x 6TB Drives (one empty slot) . After installing Moments im now running out of space (a topic for another post)

from what i can see, to increase storage on SHR i need to install 2 larger drives at the same time.

My question is: if i put one 10TB in the empty slot, will it only treat it as a 6TB and increase the capacity as if it were 6TB..... later replace the oldest 6TB with a 10TB and then get the benefit of the two 10TBs?
Essentially, yes. You need two 10TB drives to unlock the extra space, in which case SHR would effectively treat it as 4x6TB in RAID5 + 2x4TB in RAID1.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.