SHR Volume - Migrate from 3 disks (RAID5-ish) volume into 2 new disks (RAID1-ish)

Currently reading
SHR Volume - Migrate from 3 disks (RAID5-ish) volume into 2 new disks (RAID1-ish)

NAS
DS1515+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
What I have: 3 x 6TB SHR Volume with 12 TB redundant storage (1 disk recently broken)
What I want: 2 x 18TB SHR volume with 18 TB redundant storage (I'll expand the volume after the migration)

Of course, I want to keep my volume and migrate everything, to avoid any additional work and downtime.

Details:
Today my Synology DS1515+ started beeping and one of the 6TB disks were dead. It's running a 12 TB SHR volume with BRTFS, which spans over 3 disks (1 disk. redundancy, like RAID5), so it's effectively running RAID5 on 3 disks. Now I've ordered two new 18 TB disks and want to run a 2-disk SHR volume with these disks.

To begin with, I'll just replace the broken 6TB disk, and one of the other 6TB disks, with the new 18 TB ones.

Then I have a 12 TB Volume which is still spread over 3 disks, but I want to get rid of the last 6 TB disk and run with 2 mirrored disk in the future.

But how can I then take the old 6TB disk out, and tell the storage manager to use more of the new 18 TB disks for storage, so my current 3x6TB redundant array with 12TB space, becomes a 2x18TB redundant array with 18 TB space?
I know that Synology uses LVM and MDADM under the hood but I don't want to mess around with this if I can do it the prescribed way, through synology's web interface

What I have: 3 x 6TB SHR Volume with 12 TB redundant storage (1 disk recently broken)
What I want: 2 x 18TB SHR volume with 18 TB redundant storage (I'll expand the volume after the migration)

Of course, I want to keep my volume and migrate everything, to avoid any additional work and downtime.

Details:
Today my Synology DS1515+ started beeping and one of the 6TB disks were dead. It's running a 12 TB SHR volume with BRTFS, which spans over 3 disks (1 disk. redundancy, like RAID5), so it's effectively running RAID5 on 3 disks. Now I've ordered two new 18 TB disks and want to run a 2-disk SHR volume with these disks.

To begin with, I'll just replace the broken 6TB disk, and one of the other 6TB disks, with the new 18 TB ones.

Then I have a 12 TB Volume which is still spread over 3 disks, but I want to get rid of the last 6 TB disk and run with 2 mirrored disk in the future.

But how can I then take the old 6TB disk out, and tell the storage manager to use more of the new 18 TB disks for storage, so my current 3x6TB redundant array with 12TB space, becomes a 2x18TB redundant array with 18 TB space?
I know that Synology uses LVM and MDADM under the hood but I don't want to mess around with this if I can do it the prescribed way, through synology's web interface
OK ... now that I see you have a DS1515+, the big question is: are only 3 drive bays occupied? If the answer is yes, then it's a snap. Place the two new 18TB drives in the remaining slots and create a new volume. Then copy the data from the 2 remaining active 6TB drives. If you could, borrow a 6TB from somewhere and rebuild the old array first. Too bad you're not near me .. I have 5 spare 6TB drives :)

I have 5 bays, 2 of them are occupied by SSD cache, 3 of them by 6TB drives, but that's not a concern as long as I have 2 ESATA ports on the back, I can connect the new drives to these before replacing the old ones

I have 5 bays, 2 of them are occupied by SSD cache, 3 of them by 6TB drives, but that's not a concern as long as I have 2 ESATA ports on the back, I can connect the new drives to these before replacing the old ones
I think the most effective approach would be to disable the cache and remove the two SSD drives ... build the new volume and copy the data and then replace the two SSDs as a cache for the new volume.

Stephen

but that's not a concern as long as I have 2 ESATA ports on the back, I can connect the new drives to these before replacing the old ones
The eSata ports act as external interfaces, like the USB ports, unless you attach a DX expansion unit. A drive in any other external eSata enclosure will be seen as just that... and external drive not capable of being added to or creating a storage pool and 'internal' volume.

I know this because I've used an external eSata enclosure before and it displayed in Control Panel's External Devices and isn't listed in Storage Manager.

Freeing up bays in the NAS and using them would be the better way. But, in case you don't know, any packages that you've installed are not installed in the DSM partition that's across all drives/all pools. These packages are installed on one of the volumes ... if you have only one it's this one. There are file system links in the DSM partition that connect to the folders of the volume. You'll have to backup packages and reinstall them, selecting the new volume (a new option in Package Center's Settings will allow you to select it). Alternatively it's possible to stop the packages, move the folders and manually recreate the file system links ... which I've never done but have seen tutorials online. Anyway, you'll have to plan for migrating your packages across to the new volume.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.