SHR1 to SHR2 migration

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi,

I'm migrating from DS220j (2x4T SHR1) to DS920+ (4x4T SHR2). I'm just curious how long it's supposed to take.

I moved 1st disk from DS220 to the new DS920 and added 3 new disks. Then I Repaired SHR1 - it took about a day. Then, I changed SHR1 to SHR2 and it takes ages. It runs 0.008% per minute. I'm just wondering why it takes so long since to repair SHR1 took less then a day but this seems will take a week.

However, everything works fine, just the pool state is changing and the space is still 4T (will probably expand when the chnage finish).

Welcome to the forum.

So you put in one of the 4TB from the DS220j and three new 4TB. The repair of the SHR1 was using what: just one of the new 4TB so that you had recreated the 'mirrored' SHR1? And then you'd used the two remaining new 4TB to convert the 2 drive SHR1 to SHR2?

There's a lot of calculation and validation going on when 3+ drive SHR1 and more with SHR2. I'd just leave it to do it's thing.

Yah, this is actually what I'm going to do - let it do its things. But I'm thinking, maybe I have chosen a wrong way of the migration. Maybe, I should have wipe all the 4 drives and copy the data over the network. It would be faster according to my calculations. With the 1G network, it would be able to transfer 100M per second. Copying 4T should take no longer than 1/2 day.

With my current approach, I imagine it reorganizes everything while it maintains 2-drive fault tolerance. Many read/writes which I may have saved.

Yah, this is actually what I'm going to do - let it do its things. But I'm thinking, maybe I have chosen a wrong way of the migration. Maybe, I should have wipe all the 4 drives and copy the data over the network. It would be faster according to my calculations. With the 1G network, it would be able to transfer 100M per second. Copying 4T should take no longer than 1/2 day.

With my current approach, I imagine it reorganizes everything while it maintains 2-drive fault tolerance. Many read/writes which I may have saved.
All true

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.