Simplest way to create user who only has access to Photos?

Currently reading
Simplest way to create user who only has access to Photos?

NAS
DS218+ 8GB RAM, DS212
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
I'd like to create a user who only has access to the Photos folder. They can also have access to their own Home directory if necessary, but that's all I want them to be able to access.

I tried to create a user w/that limited access, but the standard User group permissions include the other Home directories, as well as several other directories.

Is there a way to create a user who is not part of the general user group and those permissions? There's no obvious way to remove them from the users default group, as that option cannot be unselected for a user.

1644180662866.png

How about setting the user’s access to shared folders. This will override more permissive group rights.

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘other Home directories’: other users’ homes or other sub-folders in this user’s home?

There should be no access to other users’ homes, assuming you’re creating a standard user account.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
How about setting the user’s access to shared folders. This will override more permissive group rights.
I'll take a look at doing that. Thanks.

I don’t understand what you mean by ‘other Home directories’: other users’ homes or other sub-folders in this user’s home?

There should be no access to other users’ homes, assuming you’re creating a standard user account.
The first time I tried the account after creating it, the account had access to all of the Home folders, for all three users I have. I'll take a look at things and try again...
-- post merged: --

Probably misunderstanding you, but I don't see a way to do this via a single setting that only allows access to shared folders.

I reviewed the setup of the user, he only has access (as far as I can see) to the Photos directory, yet when I log in as him he can see all the Home folders, music, video, etc. Pics below...what am I doing wrong/not understanding? (I know, that could be a lot.) ;-)

Screen caps below.

The use "Photos User" only has access to one folder in Permissions.

However, when I log in as Photos User he can see all of the other accounts and their Home folders. He can also see/open the other folders (e.g., music and video).

2022-02-06 15_54_05-Missy2.jpg
2022-02-06 15_59_06-Missy2.jpg

Upvote 0
In the first screen shot: select No Access for shared folders you don't want this user to have any access.

An account can be a member of many groups and the permissions are aggregated. You can also apply permissions directly to the account (at user level) too. The Group Permission column shows what access is allowed if you don't select anything for this user.

1644227317363.png

Before we used Plex, I created an shared home account that is allowed to access just Adio Station, Video Station, File Station, SMB, and read-only to the /music shared folder. Also its own home folder. And that is it. This is a standard account and I applied the restricted access to the user's account.

If your standard users (i.e. you haven't assigned them to administrator group) have access to /homes then there is something wrong with how your User Homes feature is setup. Only users in the administrators group should be able to see /homes.

Upvote 0
In the first screen shot: select No Access for shared folders you don't want this user to have any access.
Thanks - the additional context helps. I set the privileges as below:
2022-02-07 08_21_58-Missy2.jpg

But when I try to save I get this scary warning:
2022-02-07 08_22_14-Missy2.jpg

Can I safely ignore that? This user won't have any access to starting/stopping any sync activities. What is this warning really saying?

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I think it should be ok as you are only doing this for one specific user. Just revert the changes if there is an issue.
Bingo...signed into the account and only access was to Photo folder. Really appreciate your patient help w/this basic activity - thanks.
-- post merged: --

The user does have access to the apps below - off to go go block access to Audio Station, Download Station, Mail Server, and Note Station... I think I can declare victory!! :D

1644253889780.png

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.