Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi

Wonder if anyone has encountered such problem:
The download speed from my NAS has decreased a lot, like 200-300KB/s. The upload speed to the NAS is normal (~10 MB/s).
Those numbers were obtained on my mac while on wifi, 10MB/s is about the wifi limit at the spot.
Already tested today on wire from my office while connected to my home VPN (server on the router). The numbers went down, 100KB/S and 3MB/s.

This is for both SMB and FTP (no encryption).
There was an improper shutdown a few days ago, but no logged errors, system healthy. Already properly rebooted the NAS.
As far as I can tell, there's nothing weird going on with my network, and everything else is working fine.
The NAS is a DS411 connected to a 1gbit port.

tx

Solution
Hi!
I was about to edit/erase my question.
I actually think wifi diagnosis was quite good. There are no other wifis around (anyway collisions aren't one way), and speeds are consistent/repetitive. Later I did wire my mac and used blackmagic with ~same result amplified (40MB/s up; 500KB/s dl). After some tests I found the problem was the router (Mikrotik). Last upgrade did something funny to it.... and exclusively on the DS port, not on the other ports. A simple reboot solved the issue.
Thanks for your time and I'm sorry for quickly blaming the innocent Syno......
There is no way to do efficient problem solving on a connection between nas and a wifi connected device.
so first connect your mac wired, and check the connection speed using e.g blackmagic.
then if download speed remains low, we know where to dig further.

Upvote 0
Hi!
I was about to edit/erase my question.
I actually think wifi diagnosis was quite good. There are no other wifis around (anyway collisions aren't one way), and speeds are consistent/repetitive. Later I did wire my mac and used blackmagic with ~same result amplified (40MB/s up; 500KB/s dl). After some tests I found the problem was the router (Mikrotik). Last upgrade did something funny to it.... and exclusively on the DS port, not on the other ports. A simple reboot solved the issue.
Thanks for your time and I'm sorry for quickly blaming the innocent Syno......

Upvote 0
Solution

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.