Slow response to drag & drop in Mac Finder when using external connection

Currently reading
Slow response to drag & drop in Mac Finder when using external connection

NAS
DS720+
Operating system
  1. macOS
Problem:
Drag & Drop files in finder from external network, is quite slow and it takes about 20-30 seconds for the transfer to start, when I drag from my desktop, to the mounted (external network) Synology drive. No other processes are busy on the synology, I have everything set to minimum SMB2 maximum SMB3 and opportunistic locking turned on.

My Ping at home is around 6-10 and Network speed (Lan) around 500Mbps. I have 1 SSD NVME Cache setup and a toshiba MG08 7200rpm drive installed.
My Ping in the office is around 15-20 and network speed (Wifi) around 300Mbps.
  1. Device:
    DS720+
    DSM 7.1-42661
  2. NAS is directly connected to Fritz!box 7530 Router with 2 LAN cables on Active/Standby
  3. Static IP

I hope someone can help diagnose why it's going so slow to transfer a file in mac finder.

Yes, that's a webdav port by default. Well, using WebDAV you can't expect speeds as you would locally over SMB for example. Once it starts the transfer how long does it take to actually transfer anything? Is that slow as well?
It's pretty slow yes. Considering the drive and SSD and internet speed I have, but for the life of me I have not been able to use SMB like how you would write smb:// from an external or internal network. In finder, I just go to network, and then my drive is there if I'm local, and when I'm external, I go to "https://username.synology.me/5006".

It's pretty slow yes. Considering the drive and SSD and internet speed I have, but for the life of me I have not been able to use SMB like how you would write smb:// from an external or internal network. In finder, I just go to network, and then my drive is there if I'm local, and when I'm external, I go to "https://username.synology.me/5006".
You don't want SMB over Internet, very high security risk.

Safest would be to VPN from your client back to your NAS and use than local IP address over SMB protocol. That would be the safest way but it will take a speed hit due to the fact that you are inside a VPN tunnel.

Still, this will be more "user friendly" and secure, but again not the fastest way.

Also when using a VPN, your max speed in both directions will be your local NAS upload speed as your max transfer speed (or slower depending on the encryption penalty).

Safest would be to VPN from your client back to your NAS and use than local IP address over SMB protocol. That would be the safest way but it will take a speed hit due to the fact that you are inside a VPN tunnel.

Still, this will be more "user friendly" and secure, but again not the fastest way.

Also when using a VPN, your max speed in both directions will be your local NAS upload speed as your max transfer speed (or slower depending on the encryption penalty).
I'll look into that, but even when I'm on my local network, I just counted, it took me 8 seconds, just to reveal the contents of a folder in finder. I don't understand why It's not going super fast. Is it cause the server is indexing photo's?

Is it cause the server is indexing photo's?
Ofc it could be a lot of elements. Also how many objects are in that folder? If it's a folder with a lot of files/folders it can take some time to list, and with some "intensive" task in the back, it is probably utilizing the drives even more. That can ofc prolong all other operations.

Ofc it could be a lot of elements. Also how many objects are in that folder? If it's a folder with a lot of files/folders it can take some time to list, and with some "intensive" task in the back, it is probably utilizing the drives even more. That can ofc prolong all other operations.
It has not more than 100 files but separated in folders. When I open it on my Mac M1 it opens instantly, but I guess that's not really a fair comparison? I figured navigating folders shouldn't be that intensive of a task

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.