Slowness and hangs on with Windows Roaming Profiles and redirected folders with DS1513+

Currently reading
Slowness and hangs on with Windows Roaming Profiles and redirected folders with DS1513+

NAS
DS1513+
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I've inherited a home user setup which is using a windows 2016 Active Directory, with roaming profiles and redirected folders on a Synology DS1513+.
This seems to work OK on the whole, however there are noticeable hangs and disk writes / reads. Any activity that requires a read a write to a user folder that is redirected to the synology, results in a 30-60 second hang.

Customer does not want to upgrade / migrate this environment at this point, and wants to understand why they are seeing the hangs they are. They claim that this was not like this before. I need to determine root cause of the hangs / slowdowns before the customer will look at upgrades etc.

Any direction on where to start with investigating the cause of the hangs?

Best to record traffic with WireShark or a similar tool, and see the whole process there. You will see where the "gaps" are happening, and focus on those to mitigate.

Of the top of my head, there is a number of elements that can go wrong in this case, and you have not described how the environment is configured (client or server side, as well as the network, size of it, etc).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.