4. WRX560
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS

Version: 4.15.13-0795​

(2023-07-11)
Fixed Issues

1. Fix an issue where editing files on Synology NAS may cause SMB Service termination if the memory is insufficient.
  2. Fix an issue where connecting to Synology NAS with multiple user accounts simultaneously via SMB may lead to file inaccessibility.

I installed the latest SMB package yesterdayand it’s caused me a huge problem. File transfers using SMB fail and cause my 1522+ to shut down. When data transfer hits around 3GB, the file transfer stops, all HDD lights on the NAS turn off, and only the power light stays lit. However, the NAS registers it as a shut down.

The NAS is populated with five Seagate Ironwolf 12TB drives in SHR, has 32GB RAM, and a Synology NVME drive for read-only cache. My client device initiating the transfer is a M2 Mac mini with 10gbe ethernet running MacOS Sonoma beta 3.

I cleared the SMB cache and properly shut down the NAS but the problem still exist. Does anyone have any help to offer? I’m probably gonna revert back to the previous SMB version and reach out to Synology.

UPDATE: I went back earlier today to troubleshoot and surprisingly the file transfer problem using the new SMB version 4.15.13-0795 resolved on its own. How, Im not sure. I decided to try copying files (46GB worth) from the NAS to my Mac mini to see if the file transfer stalled and NAS reset, and behold, the transfer completed without problem. I then transferred the same files that triggered the aforementioned problem of NAS locking up and they transferred without problem.

I have no idea what may have caused the issue. It did occur immediately after updating the SMB package and within the hour of installing the MacOS Sonoma beta 3 update. Perhaps some behind the scenes configurations after updating hadn't had the chance to complete yet. Im simply glad the problem seems to have resolved.

@AppleTechStar that is a LOT of updating, and with beta software, all at once. So too many variables to account for. Glad it settled down into working.

I'll offer 2 tips that I've found useful.

1) After any update. Reboot twice. Definitely for macOS and even on synology. Why 2x? Well, the first boot is usually wonky where very custom scripts for the upgrade may have completed, may have hung. Reboot #1, usually, fixes things like that, as it will not have those 'just after upgrade scripts'. So why the 2nd reboot. Sometimes, there are 'on the first reboot' scripts to clean things out. Those also can have weird 'hangs'. So 2x reboots after a big update usually knocks out any weirdness with update scripts.

2) AFP. :D

@AppleTechStar that is a LOT of updating, and with beta software, all at once. So too many variables to account for. Glad it settled down into working.

I'll offer 2 tips that I've found useful.

1) After any update. Reboot twice. Definitely for macOS and even on synology. Why 2x? Well, the first boot is usually wonky where very custom scripts for the upgrade may have completed, may have hung. Reboot #1, usually, fixes things like that, as it will not have those 'just after upgrade scripts'. So why the 2nd reboot. Sometimes, there are 'on the first reboot' scripts to clean things out. Those also can have weird 'hangs'. So 2x reboots after a big update usually knocks out any weirdness with update scripts.

2) AFP. :D
I can see that being a reasonable approach to updating, especially operating systems. As for AFP, I’ve heard others swear by it. I haven’t used it and always preferred a protocol actively supported and updated which is why I stick with SMB. I do use WebDav often, too.

I appreciate that suggestions :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.