SMB sharing OOBE share issue

Hello

Just started with a new DS418
  • Assembled the NAS
  • Bootup - basic initial setup - followed default suggestions
  • Updated to latest DSM 7 version
  • Added a standard user
  • Created a volume (raid 6)
  • Created a basic SMB share (using the default proposed settings, standard user having full r/w on said share)
Booted my win 10, fully patched, build 21H2
Tried to connect to SMB share (which shows up as expected in network discovery) and I immediately get an error “The network path was not found”. Same if I try via IP. Same on a different machine. Can’t seem to connect via SMB.

Now what am I doing wrong ?

In any case I find it rather bad OOB experience. I’d say this is probably the one of the most usual use case with these boxes ?

Thanks - I've seen some posts about changing registry keys to force NTLMv2 - is that your suggestion ? I'm pretty sure modern Win10 only does NTLMv2 but will double check (there is no domain here, just one NAS on a stand alon windows workstation).

At any rate I would say that a newly setup NAS should work over SMB with Windows "out of the box" when following default settings. Or at the very, very least there should be some obvious pop up saying that default settings will not allow to use the NAS from a Windows machine...

Not sure what you mean by Out Of Band (OOB) experience.

Is there any setting in Windows 10 that has SMB v1 enabled/defaulted for client access? I know I remember seeing some SMB v1 (or NTLM v1?) setting enabled on my work laptop PC and raising it with the support dept. It was then disabled.

In DSM 7 the minimum SMB version was raised from the known very vulnerable v1 to v2.

Hi

By OOB I meant Out Of Box, which is apparently to be abrevisated OOBE. Sorry about the confusion.

I have checked and SMB 3.1 is supported on Windows clients since Windows 10 and Windows Server 2016, it is by default enabled. By default the NAS required v2 and newer.

It took microsoft about 5 years to switch off SMB1 by default.
And yes Synology is not the fastest player in the world but many network settings are now (even better with v7) on the high default security settings. Something that cannot always be said for W10. W11 made a new step BTW.
My experience is, like with ntlmv2 that w10 does not always update the system correctly.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.