Snapshot replication, , Hyper Backup Shared Folder Sync or DriveShare Sync for active backup / user files?

Currently reading
Snapshot replication, , Hyper Backup Shared Folder Sync or DriveShare Sync for active backup / user files?

In general no but Synology implementation of SR in a combination of BTRFS and copy on write mechanism allows for preservation of shared folder history that will allow you to restore even deleted files (snapshot schedule option).

Still, depending solely on SR and snaps can lead to trouble if there is a major corruption of data for whatever reason. That’s why a backup (off device) is recommended regardless of having snaps (even replicated as again, same snapshot rules apply).
So basically use Hyper Backup to offsite NAS :)
But replication to offsite NAS will alwayd have a copy of the File if the file is damaged on primariy NAS right?

Does hyper backup make complete backups or use incrementail

So basically use Hyper Backup to offsite NAS :)
I would recommend having a separate duplicate copy of data via a regular backup method, yes. If nothing else, drives break down. It’s only a matter of when and how many at the same time.

Last edited:
I would recommend having a separate duplicate copy of data via a regular backup method, yes. If nothing else, drives break down. It’s only a matter of when and how many at the same time.
Does hyper backup make complete backups or use incrementals

So a complete replication offsite basically isnt a safe 100% copy

Regular backup you mean hyper backup?

For ABB files snapshot makes no sense right. You should always hyper backups those. But huper backup doesnt let you select folder right?

What you think about just rync the data to offsite NAS? I read here and there Hyper backup (with a few TBs) takes days. With rsync backup you can simple access fhe files right? HB puts it in a file.
-- post merged: --

Fwiw, we use the Synology Drive package set for this very task. We set it up in one location then moved one of the NAS's. It works great, does 2-way sync cross-country in < 1-sec, and is pretty easy to setup.
@7Natives is this encrypted / secure? I watched a YT video on how to do this but i am not seeing any encryption options.

Does hyper backup make complete backups or use incrementals
It does support increment method by default

Regular backup you mean hyper backup?
From DSM side that is the only real backup tool that is used to backup content that is already on the NAS.

For ABB files snapshot makes no sense right. You should always hyper backups those. But huper backup doesnt let you select folder right?
Not sure what you mean that HB does not support folder support, as it does. If we are talking subfolder of your NAS root folders. So not sure what folders you are referring to.

What you think about just rync the data to offsite NAS? I read here and there Hyper backup (with a few TBs) takes days. With rsync backup you can simple access fhe files right? HB puts it in a file.
With rsync you lose versioning option but get the "clean" file/folder structure on the backup side. So thats the trade off. True, HB is slower when using its proprietary format because of versioning and increments, so while you get more features and better space management, you have a speed penalty.

It does support increment method by default

From DSM side that is the only real backup tool that is used to backup content that is already on the NAS.

Not sure what you mean that HB does not support folder support, as it does. If we are talking subfolder of your NAS root folders. So not sure what folders you are referring to.

With rsync you lose versioning option but get the "clean" file/folder structure on the backup side. So thats the trade off. True, HB is slower when using its proprietary format because of versioning and increments, so while you get more features and better space management, you have a speed penalty.
Restoring a synology (lets say 4x2TB raid5) when the HB backup is on an offsite NAS. Are you able to restore this over the internet? (This will probably take days)

Or is the way to do this different? Maybe put the HB file on a USB drive and take it to the NAS?

Or does the HB backup file need to be on the NAS to be able to restore?

There is no HB backup file Explorer? So you cannot pull specific files from a HB backup right?

Restoring a synology (lets say 4x2TB raid5) when the HB backup is on an offsite NAS. Are you able to restore this over the internet? (This will probably take days)
HB does support over the Internet recovery and yes, it might take some time if the link is not very fast. Local backup over 10G depending on the drives can be from 250-500MB/s on average while the SR will be much faster on the same setup. So over the Internet if you have 1G up/down on both sides you can expect it to run at 80-90MB/s as an example.

Or is the way to do this different? Maybe put the HB file on a USB drive and take it to the NAS?
Local backup and then pickup where you left off is an option as well. You could resume and relink on the destination NAS the "archive" that was brought over and then once the link has been established, the deltas will continue over the Internet.

There is no HB backup file Explorer? So you cannot pull specific files from a HB backup right?
Yes there is. HB and HB Vault (DSM apps) both support "reading" the HBK file to give you the option to restore a single file, point in time if you want. also the HB desktop app also exists for macOS and Win OS to access the same archive in case your NAS explodes.

v3rBczv.png

So many basic questions (3 pages of posts!) covered in the fine manual and Help file.
Install and see.

@Rusty ok i am using hyper backup now (all ABB files of vsphere). Also using SR :)

But if primair NAS fails, how do i use ABB on a new primair NAS to recover (if vsphere would be broken) from the "foreign" files? I think this is done by the relink button.

But i am not 100% sure what this does. Will this "link" the foreign files (which i will have to place on the new primair NAS first right?) So that they show up in the ABB GUI?

But if primair NAS fails, how do i use ABB on a new primair NAS to recover (if vsphere would be broken) from the "foreign" files? I think this is done by the relink button.
As long as you have the whole task backed up, you can set up a "new" task and relink to that archive, as you said.

But i am not 100% sure what this does. Will this "link" the foreign files (which i will have to place on the new primair NAS first right?) So that they show up in the ABB GUI?
The whole ABB content has to be intact for the relink to be successful, yes.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.