Currently reading
Snapshot Replication vs HyperBackup

NAS
RS820+, DS718+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Is there any significant difference between snapshot replication vs Hyperbackup? I see HB can be scheduled as often as every hour. If HB is scheduled every hour, can this take place of snapshot replication?

Is there any significant difference between snapshot replication vs Hyperbackup?
Those are two separate tools, for specific usage/design.

Snaps can be 5min apart from each other, SR can use 2 NAS devices and active/passive combo (HB cant). On the other hand, HB can backup to the could, SR can't.

There are other differences as well, but in general, it is up to you and your needs what tool to use. In some cases, you can use SR for local snaps and HB for cloud backup (of the same data).

My concern here is when doing the HB nightly backup, to an off-site NAS, is the data being backed up and doubled a few times. Between using synology drive, which syncs files from computer to NAS user profile. Then active backup of the entire laptop. Then SR of the shared folders on the NAS, which includes the drive folder which was already backed up with AB. So when the nightly HB which goes to a 2nd offsite NAS, is the data usage being sent offsite inflated compared to the raw data?

My concern here is when doing the HB nightly backup, to an off-site NAS, is the data being backed up and doubled a few times. Between using synology drive, which syncs files from computer to NAS user profile. Then active backup of the entire laptop. Then SR of the shared folders on the NAS, which includes the drive folder which was already backed up with AB. So when the nightly HB which goes to a 2nd offsite NAS, is the data usage being sent offsite inflated compared to the raw data?
You will get overlap for sure. Drive data is synced using Drive, then that same data is in ABB task as well (that's double right there) and then on top of that, you have SR task that also included Drive data again. Not sure what's inside that HB task but looks to me you already have too much overlap so far.

The nightly offsite HB task includes all shared folders and settings. For ABB I have a weekly backup of the laptop, it only retains that one version since the HB will hold it for at least a month. Synology Drive versions was tuned down to 10. Snapshot replications vary, but that was only because the backup of HB was nightly. Again, if I increase the HB occurrence I could tune down snapshot occurrence.

My main goal is just to have backups in case of hardware malfunction, malware, or ransomware.

The nightly offsite HB task includes all shared folders and settings. For ABB I have a weekly backup of the laptop, it only retains that one version since the HB will hold it for at least a month. Synology Drive versions was tuned down to 10. Snapshot replications vary, but that was only because the backup of HB was nightly. Again, if I increase the HB occurrence I could tune down snapshot occurrence.

My main goal is just to have backups in case of hardware malfunction, malware, or ransomware.
That combo looks fine. As long as you don't have 2 much overlaps, and you can get that with versions in both SR and HB, sounds like a solid plan.

So basically, they can all coincide with each other. To minimize the overlap I just have to figure out a decent retention with each.

Are you able to give us some insight, on your backup plan? Maybe even a blog?

So basically, they can all coincide with each other. To minimize the overlap I just have to figure out a decent retention with each.
Correct.

Are you able to give us some insight, on your backup plan?
I don't have a topic on that one but in general, it like this.

I have SR for local snaps, then all that is also replicated to a separate NAS.

On top of that, from that second NAS, some data is pushed to C2 (replicated one). Alongside that, from the main NAS, some data is via HB going to C2 as well (that is not replicated or snapped).

Finally, local copy on external enclosure (part of SR and HB content; one that is vital).

In this case, would you not include these folders in the HB task? Since its replicated thru SR?
Im my case, no. Reason is that data is enough covered with sr and replication. But again, that’s just me and my calculation of risk.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.