SNV3400 alternative

Currently reading
SNV3400 alternative

I have a DS1621xs+ device and I'd like to buy some M.2 NVMe SSD in order to have SSD cache in the device.
Synology recommends their SNV3400, but this SSD - unlike its 'big brother' SNV3500 - has no PLP (Power Loss Protection) which is quite essential for me.
Ufortunately SNV3500 doesn't fit to my device because of its size.

So I wanted to find an M.2 NVMe SSD (tpye 2280) from another vendor with PLP function, but I only found one: Kingston DC1000B. This would do the job, however its random write speed is very slow comepring to Synology SNV3400. (20.000 IOPS vs. 40.000 IOPS).

Do you know about any other M.2 (2280) NVMe SSD with PLP function?

Thanks in advance!

To be honest, I don't think SNV3400 is wise choice.

I think the continuous writing performance is crucial for ssd cache, since you are using xs+ high-end models.

SNV3400 only offers writing performance of about 600 MB/s, which is incredibly slow. And as tests show, the reading performance when used as DSM ssd cache is also very frustrating...

If I were you, I think I would choose SAMSUNG 970 Pro, which offers continuous writing performance of 2200 MB/s.

I think Power Loss should be very rare if you are on UPS, and the data on the hard disk is also unsafe if power loss.

Thank you for your thoughts!

Yes, I agree, the write speed of SNV3400 is very slow. In the end I decided to buy a pair of ATP AF960GSTJA-8BAXP, and I'm very happy with my decision. They are fast, they have power loss protection, they are designed for enterprise use, and they cost less than SNV3400.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back