So how can you STORE notes on the NAS that are created on iOS without...

Currently reading
So how can you STORE notes on the NAS that are created on iOS without...

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Lets say I create 5 notes while I am away from home. I want 4 of those notes to live on the NAS and NOT the iPhone?

Seems crazy but only finding information on 'syncing' which is not the same. Want the notes to LIVE on the NAS, and then access said notes on demand from other devices.
Worst case an light sync of metadata, then call note on demand?

Seems like Note Station isn't all that popular? Is it true your data gets locked into Note Station?

Anyway, how would I even know if a note is stored on iPhone or the NAS?
Not wanting 100% parity of being stored on both, want it stored on NAS.

TIA.

Seems like Note Station isn't all that popular? Is it true your data gets locked into Note Station?

Anyway, how would I even know if a note is stored on iPhone or the NAS?
Not wanting 100% parity of being stored on both, want it stored on NAS.

TIA.
If you are using Note Station, everything is stored on the NAS. The truth is that if your mobile version of NoteStation has no internet connectivity to your NAS, it will sync at a later date, so the note will remain on the mobile device for that time.

However, with note station, all data is syncd and live in the NS database on the nas, and only accessed data will be on top of that cached locally to a device.

Seems like Note Station isn't all that popular?
Not much effort from Syno to improve it over the years. Focus was on dsm7 and its features, true, but NS is not the only app that didnt get any love (small of big) in years.

Is it true your data gets locked into Note Station?
You can export both single notes and whole notebooks for use outside of Note Station. Single notes can be exported as a compressed archive containing an HTML file and attachments. Multiple notebooks can be exported together as a single nsx file. Exported notebooks can be used for backup or for importing to another Synology NAS.

Thank you for the reply.

So if I have 10 notes, each containing 10 photos of 1 meg a piece (most these days default to several megs a piece) - presuming it has been sync'd none of that information (100 megs) is consuming space on the iPhone. Is that correct?

Presuming w/o internet access, that information would then also not be available (which is ok.)

No experience w/the previous dsm...think dim 7 is pretty solid...as a novice user I was able to get things set up and running smoothly.

Ok, there is the rub. How would one ensure the new note created on the iPhone is then NOT consuming space on the iPhone after it has been sync'd w/the nas?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Welcome to SynoForum.com!

SynoForum.com is an unofficial Synology forum for NAS owners and enthusiasts.

Registration is free, easy and fast!

Back