DSM 7.1 [SOLVED ]Plex and OpenVPN: problems (again)

Currently reading
DSM 7.1 [SOLVED ]Plex and OpenVPN: problems (again)

NAS
DS214play
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Welcome back, guys.
I know this thread is not new on these pages but even after reading some old ones I'm not able to fix my issue.
So, this is my scenario:
  • Synology DS214play NAS;
  • OpenVPN client on it (I've bought a subscription and I'm testing the service these days);
  • All the relevant ports (5000 and counting, 32400) have been opened on my router even though I'm not sure this is strictly necessary.
Just to cut things short, I can remotely connect to the NAS via ssh and webdav, while it's not possible to do that through Plex.
I suspect it's something related to the default gateways and the routing tables but it's quite weird because -like I said before- I can use other services to connect to the DSplay remotely.
Any ideas?

Thank you very much.

So you are connecting your whole NAS to a VPN provider? NAS is the "client" in this case?

If so, then your VPN provider is not port forwarding all the ports needed so you are having issue.

Try and enable Multiple Gateways option in the network section of control panel (advanced button). See if that will solve your issue.

Last edited:
So you are connecting your whole NAS to a VPN provider? NAS is the "client" in this case?

If so, then your VPN provider is not port forwarding all the ports needed so you are having issue.

Try and enable Multiple Gateways option in the network section of control panel (advanced button). See if that will solve your issue.
Hi, Rusty, yes, my NAS is the client in this case.
I've already done this.
In the relevant area I can see that the default gateway is similar to the provider's IP address, then I see something like "IPv6 default gateway" (blank).

In the end I was able to resolve the issue.
First of all I added a static route on my NAS:
VPN IP's subnet - netmask - gateway (VPN's IP address ending with 1) - Interface: VPN
Not sure this did the trick, though.
After that I added the following instruction to the .ovpn file provided by Opvn.com:
route plex.tv 255.255.255.0 followed by my LAN's default gateway.

Now I can listen to my albums even in my car.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.