Operating system
  1. macOS
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Last edited:
Greetings 🙂

I did the DDNS setup using Synology as provider. Also did install the LE certificate in order for an SSL connection to be established from now on.
Anyway, I managed to connect using this DDNS setup but later on the day another connection did not succeed !

How to diagnose connection timeout errors ? Will just the Firefox browser admin tools, i.e. Web Console or JavaScript Debugger, be enough with the details and pointers to get to the exact cause in order to solve all connection issues ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remote access is working on the mobile without any home router port forwarding
Are you sure you are not using QuickConnect? Or are you using DDNS but with UPNP for port management? If you do not have your ports manually forwarded, it can get you into trouble when it comes to remote access. So a bit more info on that would be helpful.

I can connect remotely (DDNS via synology) from my mobile phone via default DS Finder and DS Cam apps but not from my laptop web browser
When you are testing from your laptop or your mobile phone are you on your WIFI or on a remote location out side your LAN?

Upvote 0
Or are you using DDNS but with UPNP for port management? If you do not have your ports manually forwarded, it can get you into trouble when it comes to remote access. So a bit more info on that would be helpful.
Thanks for pointing that UPNP is less secure. It was enabled and I disabled it and I hope this disbaling will continue from now on.
When you are testing from your laptop or your mobile phone are you on your WIFI or on a remote location out side your LAN?
Of course laptop was connecting from another network, a data plan on a mobile router.

I changed the NAS default HTTPS port into a custom port number. I also setup port forwarding on my home router to enable external connections targeting my home NAS. So I enter the following URL at any device when outside home :

https:mynas.familyds.net:my_custom_port

Connection is established now by both mobile apps DS Finder and DS Cam.

Upvote 0
It sounds like a inbound firewall rule on the NAS is blocking the connection on your laptop. Check your firewall logs to see if its blocking incoming traffic to your forwarded address/port. If so, create/edit a firewall rule to allow that traffic, specifying your custom port. The Synology apps use different ports than the web portal and the firewall has separate rules for each.

Upvote 0
firewall logs
I have searched in the system log and found nothing. It looks like DSM firewall does not log any events !! or logs them but I don't know until now where are they located in the system files !! Can anyone help ??
Beside the log issue, all firewall rules are allowing access. The overall number of rules is 4 and no single rule is set to deny external access !

Upvote 0
Web Station by default uses TCP port 80 so the firewall rule in DSM would look like:

Enabled Ports = Webstation (80) Protocol = TCP Source IP = All Action = Allow

In order to see the Firewall logs. Navigate to Package Center and install "Log Center". That will allow you to review the firewall logs. Once you have opened Log Center, select the drop down labeled General and change it to Connection. This will reveal any firewall logged events.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.