Some basic settings for the first time use of NAS.

Currently reading
Some basic settings for the first time use of NAS.

NAS
DS1522+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi all,

i need your help if possible. Since i bought my first NAS yesterday. The DS1522+ in combination with 4 IronWolf ST4000NV006 16TB in total.
And since i am new to NASses i want to know something.

I will group it in several parts.

Access / Remote access / Security
- I want to access the NAS remotly but secured (how to do that?
I saw an YouTube video of NetworkChuck what is using an Cloudflare Tunnel (almost like a revuresed lookup)
Is this possible for an NAS, but to have it secure?

Backup storage (external devices like smartphones)
  • I want to backup all our GMAIL account photos and pictures, and to keep using this solution, so no more cloud from the techgiants.
  • Creating shared folders, home folders for each user within our home, and some friends of course. (but without using the synology connect link, will this be possible?)

Additional settings
What are great settings while setup the machine? on internet there is a lot, but i want to know from the synology experts.

Last edited:
I want to access the NAS remotly but secured (how to do that
Two ways to consider:
  1. VPN
  2. Reverse Proxy
There are plenty of tutorials for each. I personally prefer the Reverse Proxy methods because all configurations are done on the NAS (Control Panel > Login Portal > Advanced > [Reverse Proxy]). Port 443 is the only port forward on your router. And the Reverse Proxy method can be deployed with DDNS.

Check out How to Access a Synology NAS Remotely. This article by wundertech.net covers a lot of ground, including VPN and Reverse Proxy instructions. I can also recommend SpaceRex for his helpful videos on youtube.

Also check out Synology 101 - Part 5: Security & access on this website as part of the Syno 101 help docs.
-- post merged: --

Additional settings
What are great settings while setup the machine? on internet there is a lot, but i want to know from the synology experts.

SpaceRex - Home - SpaceRex
WunderTech - WunderTech - Tech Tutorials that Make Sense
Synology Knowledge Center - Knowledge Center

Last edited:
Backup storage (external devices like smartphones)
  • I want to backup all our GMAIL account photos and pictures, and to keep using this solution, so no more cloud from the techgiants.
  • Creating shared folders, home folders for each user within our home, and some friends of course. (but without using the synology connect link, will this be possible?)
Will all backup functions be performed inside your LAN? If so, then there is no "synology link". You would likely access your NAS from local devices through SMB protocol (mapped drive).

For photos, I suggest considering Synology's "Photo" package. Then you can login to your techgiants accounts with a LAN device (PC/Mac) and export all your photos directly to your NAS Photo shared folder through SMB.

Two ways to consider:
  1. VPN
  2. Reverse Proxy
There are plenty of tutorials for each. I personally prefer the Reverse Proxy methods because all configurations are done on the NAS (Control Panel > Login Portal > Advanced > [Reverse Proxy]). Port 443 is the only port forward on your router. And the Reverse Proxy method can be deployed with DDNS.

Check out How to Access a Synology NAS Remotely. This article by wundertech.net covers a lot of ground, including VPN and Reverse Proxy instructions. I can also recommend SpaceRex for his helpful videos on youtube.

Also check out Synology 101 - Part 5: Security & access on this website as part of the Syno 101 help docs.

SpaceRex - Home - SpaceRex
WunderTech - WunderTech - Tech Tutorials that Make Sense
Synology Knowledge Center - Knowledge Center
Indeed i was looking at that YouTube video (SpaceRex). Does it make sense the settings he was enabling/disabling ?

Will all backup functions be performed inside your LAN? If so, then there is no "synology link". You would likely access your NAS from local devices through SMB protocol (mapped drive).

For photos, I suggest considering Synology's "Photo" package. Then you can login to your techgiants accounts with a LAN device (PC/Mac) and export all your photos directly to your NAS Photo shared folder through SMB.
The Synology photos will only work within the local network? or is this the way to do it the safe way? Because i will check some ddns videos as well therefore to ask.

just a quick extra question.
@wundertech is speaking in one video regarding VPN and OpenVPN, at the end he installed OPENVpn on the synology. will this be an better solution or better on a Rpi?

The Synology photos will only work within the local network?
No. It works via any public fqdn as well. QC, DDNS, or a private domain.

will this be an better solution or better on a Rpi?
From a security perspective, it would be better on RPi, but then again it will be a question of performance as well (depending on the number of users, and the generation of the device).

Indeed i was looking at that YouTube video (SpaceRex). Does it make sense the settings he was enabling/disabling ?
I assume you are referring to SpacRex's ...1st time setup video. YES - for the most part. But, as these types of videos age and DSM is updated, you may see options that are not the same as the video. For this reason, I refer to several videos and glean the best from several experts. And then check this forum for fine tuning of specific options/features.

Here is a short list (not conclusive) of areas you are likely to spend time fine tuning...
  • QuickConnect (Control Panel > External Access [QuickConnect])
  • DDNS (Control Panel > External Access [DDNS])
  • Users (Control Panel > Users & Groups [User]):
  • Disk Station Manager (DSM) (Control Panel > Login Portal [DSM])
  • Shared Drives (Control Panel > Shared Folder):
  • NAS Firewall (Control panel > Security [Firewall])
  • Auto Block (Control panel > Security [Protection])
  • Reverse Proxy (Control Panel > Login Portal > Advanced > [Reverse Proxy]
  • Signin Method (Control Panel > Security [Account] and available from the “Personal” drop list – upper right corner):
  • SMB: Server Message Block (Control Panel > File Services > SMB)
  • Storage Manager
  • Power Recovery (Control Panel > Hardware & Power > Power Recovery)
  • Synology Account (Control Panel > Synology Account)
  • Active Insight (standalone package) (consider activating these services for better monitoring)
  • Snapshot (standalone package)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.