Currently reading
Some NFS shares work, some don't...

NAS
DS418
Operating system
  1. Linux
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
I am a newbie to Synology and have a DS418. I am running Linux Mint 20 on the desktop computer. Problem is: some of the folders on the DS418 HDD's are wrtitable and I can paste and copy and delete files from LM file manager. But some of those options in some folders are just grayed out on the Linux box. How can get full access to all folders?

/etc/fstab

Code:
192.168.50.55:/volume1/bin /mnt/bin nfs nouser,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0
192.168.50.55:/volume1/Downloads /mnt/Downloads nfs nouser,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

I never use my root account for mundane file maintenance. I am to access some nested sub-directories with all privileges without root. But maybe I screwed up something in the text below. Could you possibly take a brief look and see why, after these steps on the Linux box, the files on the DS418 have grayed out options?

On Linux box.

Code:
On Linux box.

$ cd /mnt/
$ sudo mkdir chess_archives
$ sudo chmod 777 chess_archives/
$ cd -
/home/rmack
$ ln -s /mnt/chess_archives/ .

$ sudo xed /etc/fstab
192.168.50.55:/volume1/chess_archives /mnt/chess_archives nfs nouser,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,atime,auto,rw,dev,exec,suid 0 0

$ sudo mount -a
$ ls chess_archives
'#recycle'

You were right! I do have to use the Linux file manager with the root account to successfully perform file maintenance. Thank you so much!

And it is slow. Very, very slow. For example, to move files or a directory, should take a few seconds (move just updates the file location) but actually takes a few minutes in non-DSM Linux such as Linux Mint.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.