NAS
DS218j
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hello all,
I came here searching for knowledge as something weird is happening with my data.
Starting from the start. I had my data in shared folders, which makes it easy to map on my local computer. Now Im living abroad and wanted to access them easily. Because of how I have the network setup at home, I cant fix the issue of accessing my data easily. So I saw Synology Drive and I moved my data there.
Now the problem. Once I moved there I saw that my data was growing in the HDDs, and when before I had like almost 1Tb free, now Im running low on space.
I checked and there is nothing outside the Drive folder, so has to be the same as was before outside, but for some reason, my NAS warns me that I'm running low on space.
Has anyone had the same issue?

Solution
This is well known and well documented.
You can find the info on line an on the syno knowledge base.
Drive will hold all data from connected pc, and keeps previous versions ( up to the number you specified) as well.
So disk space use can go out of control soon.
Drive will hold all data from connected pc, and keeps previous versions ( up to the number you specified) as well.

Upvote 1
Solution
Probably will searching with the wrong words, that is why I didn't find anything. Will have to dig more into how to build this search. Thanks very much for confirming Im not crazy and that there is literature regarding this. :)

Really appreciate it

Upvote 0
You have an ext4 formatted NAS (218j). If you use versioning, Synology Drive stores a duplicate of your versioned files. This can hugely affect space.

See here (commands are similar for Synology drive). The offending folder is likely "@synologydrive".
Thanks for the explanation @Telos I deactivated the versioning and now returns to normal :)

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.