Sonarr/Radarr: Docker or Synology Native?

Currently reading
Sonarr/Radarr: Docker or Synology Native?

Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I have been running Radarr/Sonarr and related apps through docker on Mac and on Synology. Both ran well, started losing track and got distracted for a while as access to needed links posed challenges. I'm about to dig back into the media server and wanted to ask if there was a benefit to having everything running through Docker on Synology or run the apps native? Note, there is VPN in the docker setup and unclear how that would operate natively for media consumption.

Anyone have experience with both?

Docker is the better way on Synology. No dependency hell, and less likelihood that DSM updates will break things, and in general, docker images incorporate app updates far sooner than 3rd-party package developers.

Docker is the better way on Synology. No dependency hell, and less likelihood that DSM updates will break things, and in general, docker images incorporate app updates far sooner than 3rd-party package developers.
Thank you. Want sure of the native apps upped their game in the last few years.

————-

On a related topic, albeit specific to media, (if I post on a Kodi forum I get pro Kodi, and if I post on a RR (Sonarr) style forum I get pro RR) I’ll post here if some have insight or can point me to a more appropriate platform neutral site for input:

Love Jellyfin through Docker for media. Clean, no fuss, no extra distractions, relatively consistent. We prefer to watch demand, where Jellyfin works for a monitored source and no not so well otherwise. Dislike challenges associated with links/sources. We only ever watch something once, where the full download seems overkill and then delete. This method requires wearing an admin hat more time than desired.

On the flip side we like Kodi for its little admin overhead, on demand availability. Even using tools such as Trakt or various add on options, it is a PIA keeping content organized, consistent. The UI seems to remain in this rut of endless taps with little in the way to help (where favorites and trakt lists fall short.

Both seem to favor subscription services such as real-debrid (we remain allergic to subscription model services.

• Is there an iOS app that works and looks like Jellyfin, yet with the low admin maintenance and on demand play without initial download? So far found any Kodi/Jellyfin/Plex integrations crude and no value.
  • If I need to break down and explore subscription link service, what are the most cost effective methods? If one works would consider buying a lifetime option over the short 3 or 6 month options I have seen.
  • Heard there was an Android box that does something similar to what we are looking to achieve, however lost the name of the service.. Anyone know more?
I imagine what we are seeing isn’t an all that unique goal, however we just haven’t come across one of the better solutions.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.