Source Folder Change for Hyperbackup

Currently reading
Source Folder Change for Hyperbackup

NAS
Synology DS416Plus
Hello,
my data layout has changed and I wanted to move the source folder <Source> into a parent folder. <Parent>
Currently the source for my Hyperbackup is <Source>.
A rename of the folder did not work, Hyperbackup complained saying that the source folder is gone.
Same when I moved the existing folder into the parent using synology's file manager. It did not automatically adjust the paths.

Hence I have to add the <source> again under its new location under <parent>.
To repeat:
OLD path <Source>
NEW path <Parent>/<Source>

Question:
Will Hyperbackup's deduplication mechanism realize the change, with the consequence that the new backup version is very small.
Or will it create a completely new big backup version, duplicating the files that were in the previous backup version ?

I did a first test.
Step1: I moved the source folder to <Parent>/<Source>, so that Hyperbackup was complained that the source folder was missing.
Step2: I moved it back to <Source>
Step3: I reconfigured the back up with the original source folder and did the backup

Essentially nothing has changed.

Result:
a) The backup process was slow, it took some hours for 340 GB.
A simple incremental backup would have been very quick.
b) Deduplication worked, because the size did not change.

The second test will be a move to the parent folder.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.