Currently reading
DSM 7.0 Space Reclamation taking so long

NAS
DS220+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
Hi, last week I moved my Plex directory after DSM 7.0 update to the new Shared Folder. It took a bit because I have 400GB of media, but after I move it Space Reclamation started. After 5 days it is still loading and 2.1TB of data is used (before it was around 1.7TB). Should I wait more or I did something wrong?

Thank you for your advice.

2021-07-27 14_25_13-Affinity Designer.jpg

I am having a similar problem, though I can see no progress after 24 hours. A quick examination of running services and processes, and I find almost no activity. BTRFS space reclamation is running, but it doesn't appear to be doing anything at all. I'm at a loss. Is it safe to restart and see what happens? I tried adjusting the RAID resync speed, but again, nothing is happening. This all began after adjusting advanced permissions of one of my shares. First, it started "moving volume," which took about 5 hours for a 3.4TB share -- I don't know what this was, or where it "moved" to, but the structure looked ok to me after it was done. But I did notice an additional 3.4 TB or so of data usage, from 66% to 77%. Then this process started, the RAID resync/space reclamation. And it's just stuck. No space has been reclaimed since it started, if anything it might be using additional space, as it was at about 75% usage after the move, but before the reclamation, now it's at 77%. So, if anything, it appears to be going in the wrong direction. Any advice?

Last edited:
I have a user that is having this same issue. The space reclamation is always running for him and says 22 items remaining. This has been going on for a few months now. We're at a loss.

*Update* it is due to snapshots on the 'video' folder. It was set to retain 7 snapshots, but there was a message on the bottom stating 'deleting 22 snapshots.' I turned off snapshots for that shared folder, as well as deleted the 7 live/good snapshots. We're doing a reboot now to see if that resolves, if not we're going to move the data to a temp folder, delete the system generated video folder and then re-create it.

*Update 2* A reboot appears to have fixed the issue.

I have a user that is having this same issue. The space reclamation is always running for him and says 22 items remaining. This has been going on for a few months now. We're at a loss.

*Update* it is due to snapshots on the 'video' folder. It was set to retain 7 snapshots, but there was a message on the bottom stating 'deleting 22 snapshots.' I turned off snapshots for that shared folder, as well as deleted the 7 live/good snapshots. We're doing a reboot now to see if that resolves, if not we're going to move the data to a temp folder, delete the system generated video folder and then re-create it.

*Update 2* A reboot appears to have fixed the issue.

OK still having an issue with this. Today we logged in and space reclamation was attempting to process 3 files. Went to snapshot replication, then to video and saw it was attempting to delete 3 snapshots. This didn't make sense since there was only 3 snapshots available (since we cleared it out the other day) and the retention was set to 7 previous snapshots. Why would it attempt to delete snapshots if it didn't even hit the limit of 7 yet? We uninstalled snapshot replication and re-installed, thinking there something going on - on the backend.

We still can delete the video shared folder and re-create it, trying to hold off on that as a last resort since it was a system generated shared folder. There was no fiddling with permissions, permissions appear to be the same as the photo folder. Anything else we could try?

I’m now having this issue on my nas. Space reclamation on the status bar is always running. I check snapshot replication and see that my photo shared folder is “deleting 4 snapshots.” This literally will be running for the whole day, I haven’t seen a period where it has stopped. Space reclamation is not on a schedule and is allowed to run at any point and time.

For the record the last post I made was a year ago and I saw this on another nas, within the video folder. That nas is also still doing the same till this day.

I’ve engaged sysnology support but they want unsupervised remote access, admin password, and 2fa disabled. I have pushed back stating I will provide access to a screenshare where I can initiate the session to the nas.

This is driving me nuts.

Spoke with Synology support, this issue is related to the Plex Package. Once I stopped the Plex package space reclamation went away. They stated it is currently a known issue where Plex causes space reclamation to go into hibernation mode. I stopped the package and confirmed that space reclamation went away.

They stated they are working on a fix, but we may not see it until DSM 7.3 o_O

** If anyone here or anyone new reading this is having the same issue, please log a support ticket with Synology and DM me for my ticket number to have it linked. The more tickets they have the better. **

Last edited:
They stated they are working on a fix
A "fix" to what? DSM? Plex? If the latter, it will be of little use unless it is built-in to the packages resident on plex.tv.

I doubt they would touch DSM unless the issue overlaps into other Synology packages. If the issue is Plex specific, they should hand it over to the Plex team to resolve (which may, or may not occur if it does not affect Plex performance). Just sayin...

A "fix" to what? DSM? Plex? If the latter, it will be of little use unless it is built-in to the packages resident on plex.tv.

Unknown at this time since they are unsure what exactly is causing space reclamation to go into a hibernation status, but they have linked it back to Plex. If preliminary they're stating it would be fixed in a later version of DSM, I'd assume it would be code change within DSM.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.