Split tunnel using L2TP/IPSec VPN?

NAS
DS1019+, DS916+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Hello! I am trying to set up a VPN server connection using L2TP/IPSEc (not OpenVPN). But there doesn't seem to be anyway to enable a split tunnel, so I can access resources on both my local LAN and the VPN tunnel.

I am using Win 10 as a client, and I have it set for split tunnel (i.e., I unchecked "Use default gateway on remote network" in the IPv4 settings of the VPN adapter). But that doesn't work. And I see no options on the server side about it. I can make the connection just fine, so I know I have that much of it defined correctly. But as soon as I connect to the VPN, I lose connection to the local LAN I am connecting from, and I need both ....

I see a lot of posts and pages detailing using OpenVPN, and how to get it to work there, but I'd like to try getting it to work with L2TP/IPSec first, before I try setting up an OpenVPN connection.

I've seen where this is an option on the "VPN Server Plus", but apparently that's only for certain Synology models? That's an SSL VPN, and I don't see that option on my DS1019+.

Thanks

SSL VPN, and I don't see that option on my DS1019+
That's only accessible on Synology routers and their SRM OS, not DSM.

Can't say for IPSec as I rarely use it, but losing a LAN connection shouldn't happen. I know that IPSec is great as it requires no client-side agent, so it's very user-friendly, but maybe using WireGuard would be an option.

I use it to maintain remote sessions with my LAN while away, and it works just fine.

Upvote 0
If you don't use a split tunnel VPN, then all IP traffic will go through the VPN gateway, instead of only that traffic destined for the VPN. So you lose access to local LAN resources, etc. It's a routing thing, apparently.

I got a recommendation for Tailscale and Wireguard. I'll take a look at those later ...

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.