SR stopped working after package update

Currently reading
SR stopped working after package update

NAS
RS2416+
Hello,

I have the following problem: I have two Synology running DSM 6.2.3. One of them (RS1) receives nightly backups on several volumes via custom scripts. (Scripts use rsync deamon.) The data is then replicated to RS2 via snapshot replication that runs before the nightly backup script. (I. e. it replicates the previous night's backup.) The SR tasks usually complete within a few minutes, except one, which takes hours and sometimes more than a day.

This used to work fine until summer 2020, when Synology updated the SR package. It no longer supports SR tasks to run concurrently. So I can start all the short ones first and the long task last, that sort of works. However, if the long task takes >24h, the short tasks from the next day are simply queued. I really need them to run. How do I do this?

Here is a summary of what I have with just two tasks:
  • Task 1 (short, day 1): Snapshot Replication starts @ 19:00, backup starts @ 20:00. The backup task of course updates the volume, so the SN must be taken before 20:00. The SR itself can then run as long as it takes.
  • Task 2 (long, day 1): SR starts @ 21:00, backup starts @ 22:00. The backup itself takes several hours.
  • Taks 1 (short, day 2): must run as on day 1 (this is currently not the case)
  • Task 2 (long, day 2): SR is still running so will be skipped. This is okay. Backup scripts starts again @ 22:00.
I don't have to use SR, but I had always thought this was the best tool for what I needed to do.

Any help is appreciated. I contacted Synology support but they were not particularly forthcoming.
Thanks in advance!
Gunther

I have a question about Tast2 that looks like its the "problem" here. How come it takes more than a day to complete if this is something that was already snaped the day before? Is there so much data change that it can't replicate that within 24h?

This replication is LAN or WAN?

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,

it potentially has lots of data that change within a day. The two boxes have a relatively low speed link (WAN). Neither can be changed I'm afraid and that is why it is fine that the next day's (long) task is then skipped.

But the short tasks are now skipped as well, which they didn't used to, and that is not so fine.

Cheers
Gunther

Upvote 0
Hi Rusty,

it potentially has lots of data that change within a day. The two boxes have a relatively low speed link (WAN). Neither can be changed I'm afraid and that is why it is fine that the next day's (long) task is then skipped.

But the short tasks are now skipped as well, which they didn't used to, and that is not so fine.

Cheers
Gunther
Well you will either have to make a different backup setup or boost your WAN link. Not sure is anything else you can do atm.

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.