Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Last edited:
1609833794188.png

Release Notes for RT2600ac | Synology Inc.

Just updated... so far no problems, updated installed smoothly.
I also have an MR2200ac mesh point that updated seamlessly.

Been using this Update 2 firmware for a couple months now. Again, Synology made me wish I wish I had stayed with the original SRM 1.2.4-8081 update. Like with Update 1, installation was not smooth. It required several reboots of the RT2600 and my cable modem for the 2600 to even pull the external IP. To prove that I wasn't going mad I had a old AirPort Extreme kicking around which I just plugged in, and it would pull the IP immediately. An hour or so of frustration later and a short period that I thought the 2600 had bricked itself, things were up and running.

My RT2600 is my mesh base of course. I have two MR2200's that mesh wirelessly to the 2600, and both have a great signal. One MR2200 is in the rear living room of my home, and the other is in the garage. From there I have a PoE+ switch connected to each of the 2200's via their LAN ports for my Reolink PoE IP Cameras. This setup is normally great. Cameras record 24/7 with 2K & 4K resolution to my FTP server (a 4TB USB3.0 drive on the 2600). Live viewing is as instantaneous as if it was direct ethernet.

Since installing Update 2, I have been plagued by my cameras falling offline and reconnecting constantly. Also my VPN (software on my Mac, not on the 2600) was constantly disconnecting/reconnecting. Needless to say, I was pulling my hair out trying anything I could think of... until three days ago...

I seem to have found the solution (*knock on wood*) which normally I wouldn't have even thought to change.

My setup has always had the WiFi channels set to "Auto" and this has never resulted in any issues previously.

So the other day, after going through my SRM setup with a fine tooth comb, I decided to manually set the WiFi channels. Using WiFi Explorer, I chose Channel 11 for 2.4Ghz, and channels 36 & 161 for the 5Ghz bands.

Immediately, the difference was night & day. My cameras were no longer disconnecting and my VPN has stayed connected now for 3 days without a hiccup.

I am not sure what is going on with the "Auto" setting for WiFi channels in SRM. It never caused disconnections like this before, but the only thing I can surmise is that once it deemed the current channel too "noisy" and it went to change channels it somehow would cause disconnections of WiFi.

Sorry for the long winded rant. I do love my Synology mesh setup for the most part, when the SRM updates aren't introducing possible bugs. It makes me wonder what else may not be functioning as it should be under the hood.

If anyone else is having flappy connections since this update, hopefully this might help you troubleshoot.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.