SRM 1.2.5 vs. 1.3.1 vs 6600 upgrade advise

Currently reading
SRM 1.2.5 vs. 1.3.1 vs 6600 upgrade advise

Seeking advise from the community, I am currently running RT2600 in AP mode, ethernet meshed to MR2200 still running on SRM 1.2.5 8227 latest update. I do not use the smart connect nor the 802.11r or MU-MIMO based on experience. I am waiting until SRM 1.3.1 has more maturity with all the issues I hear with it but curious to know if there is anyone running a similar setup as I am that has upgraded and if they had success.

I do plan next year on buying the RT6600 and WRX560 and eventually meshing my existing RT2600/MR2200 (pending on success of SRM 1.3.1).

My other options since I have two extra RT2600 and MR2200 brand new never used, is simply grow my ecosystem on this product line and not bother with the 6600. I know WiFi 6 handles the traffic better than WiFi 5 but not sure if the cost of buying new synology is worth it? again feedback welcomed.

Last edited:
If you are happy with the older devices then why buy a RT6600ax? What you would get with SRM 1.3.1 on the older devices is the ability to mesh all four 'ac' devices together, if you need to.

My recent experience with an older RT2600ac was a 'no can do' response from Synology as they deemed the soldered on eMMC storage was at the end of its life: I was getting some instability when configuring Threat Prevention, it's a long story. The replacement RT6600ax that I bought still has the same weird but expected* behaviour without, yet, the instability. So you may want to keep the second devices for backup, if 'ac' is good for you. I wasn't looking to change but felt I had to: now using RT6600ax as router and ethernet meshed to MR2200ac. The migration went well from a SRM 1.3.1 RT2600ac backup file.

If your devices run ok over 'ac' speeds and you are spreading them between the routers you will be seeing pretty much the best performances. I have a few 'ax' capable devices and see around gigabit connections, without trying to optimally place them.

*duplicated signatures in the Edit class window. Duplicates caused by retaining updated signatures, but not showing which is old and which is latest. Synology engineering said it is supposed to be like this.

If you are happy with the older devices then why by a RT6600ax? What you would get with SRM 1.3.1 on the older devices is the ability to mesh all four 'ac' devices together, if you need to.

My recent experience with an older RT2600ac was a 'no can do' response from Synology as they deemed the soldered on eMMC storage was at the end of its life: I was getting some instability when configuring Threat Prevention, it's a long story. The replacement RT6600ax that I bought still has the same weird but expected* behaviour without, yet, the instability. So you may want to keep the second devices for backup, if 'ac' is good for you. I wasn't looking to change but felt I had to: not using RT6600ax as router and ethernet meshed to MR2200ac. The migration went well from a SRM 1.3.1 RT2600ac backup file.

If you devices run ok over 'ac' speeds and you are spreading them between the routers you will be seeing pretty much the best performances. I have a few 'ax' capable devices and see around gigabit connections, without trying to optimally place them.

*duplicated signatures in the Edit class window. Duplicates caused by retaining updated signatures, but not showing which is old and which is latest. Synology engineering said it is supposed to be like this.
Thank you @fredbert for your feedback and sharing your experience.

I will definitely keep my Synology AC units. Running a basic setup since my primary RT2600 is setup in AP mode and meshed to MR2200. I than have an additional 2 x RT2600 and 2x MR2200 that are in cold standby until I move to my new home and will need to expand my mesh. Definitely will upgrade my units to SRM 1.3.1 so I can now have one of my mesh devices as the RT2600.

What am hesitating is when to upgrade to SRM 1.3.1 hearing so many stories of people having issues and still think it's buggy. I know SRM 1.2 stops support on June 2023 and considering than to upgrade with hopes newer versions of SRM 1.3.1 comes out that addresses many of the issues. I am not in any hurry until I move to my new place that will be bigger so extra mesh will be needed and will want to use the RT2600 as a mesh point.

Would you know if the SRM 1.3.1 still has 802.11r issues or multicast as I know that was causing people problems for mesh? and also trying to see if someone has a similar setup as mine and what was there experience. I think many have there units setup as router mode not AP as primary.

I know in AP mode I won't have much of the challenges as you can't use TP, firewall rules or VLANS as I have a checkpoint firewall that handles all that including my DHCP, except for guest wifi that comes directly from the RT2600. My RT2600 acts simply as a layer 2.

Trying to remember when I last brought a Check Point based firewall home, it would probably been using a Nokia IP440 or similar vintage: building it up along with Cisco Catalyst switches was not well received by my wife, what with all the noise they made and our kids being young.

I have used 802.11r on my primary network in SRM 1.2 and 1.3 but don't use on the guest network. That was due to some older Mac devices not liking it: older being things like a MacBook Core Duo (black, 2008). I also use IGMP snooping to aid multicast for streaming, and have enabled this on my managed switch too. Have you some links to where these issue are being reported?

I've not configured a router into Access Point mode so didn't know you don't get Guest mode, or the SRM 1.3.1 extra VLANs. I might test this with my old RT2600ac which is currently a switched-off mesh point on my network. The ability to have different authentication and WiFi settings per VLAN is useful when supporting a range of devices. Though if you don't use Smart Connect on the primary network then you can assign different settings per WiFi band.

Trying to remember when I last brought a Check Point based firewall home, it would probably been using a Nokia IP440 or similar vintage: building it up along with Cisco Catalyst switches was not well received by my wife, what with all the noise they made and our kids being young.

I have used 802.11r on my primary network in SRM 1.2 and 1.3 but don't use on the guest network. That was due to some older Mac devices not liking it: older being things like a MacBook Core Duo (black, 2008). I also use IGMP snooping to aid multicast for streaming, and have enabled this on my managed switch too. Have you some links to where these issue are being reported?

I've not configured a router into Access Point mode so didn't know you don't get Guest mode, or the SRM 1.3.1 extra VLANs. I might test this with my old RT2600ac which is currently a switched-off mesh point on my network. The ability to have different authentication and WiFi settings per VLAN is useful when supporting a range of devices. Though if you don't use Smart Connect on the primary network then you can assign different settings per WiFi band.
Thanks, am using the Checkpoint appliances 1490 all local managed device, overkill for a home network but can control a lot with it. When the SRM 1.3.1 came out and in the Synology forums folks complained when 802.11r was enabled it impacted WiFi speeds and when disabled it was fine along with disabling multicast. These issues may have been corrected with update-1 and 2, not sure. However when I opened a Synology ticket support indicated some of those issues exist and still WIP to fix.

While mesh at home I have the 802.11r disabled as I do have a few older devices such a macbook none of my systems had issues switching from one AP to another, however when I move and being a bigger home I do want to enable it as it may provide benefit than.

I do not use smart-connect and have my devices connected to respective SSID's. When you have your primary WiFi in AP mode, guest networks 2.4/5 SSID get IP's within Synology 192.168.2.x and I simply have it set not to talk to my local network so it's isolated. The primary SSID's 2.4/5ghz get there IP's from my Checkpoint DHCP subnet the RT2600 is connected to.

It would be great to chat with you outside of this forum if you'd be interested and perhaps I can DM you with my personal email?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Old thread notice: There have been no replies in this thread for quite some time. The last reply was on .
The content in this thread may no longer be relevant. It might be better to open a new thread instead.