Router
  1. RT1900ac
  2. RT2600ac
  3. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
The new SRM 1.3.1 RC is coming out in 2 days (on the 23rd) with mesh support for RT2600 and MR2200 models as well as all the bells that the new RT6600ax has.

All devices in the future mesh setup will have to have SRM 1.3.1 installed before they can be added to the mesh.

If you want to give it a spin before it gets pushed, PM me for installations.

DS router 2.1 (rolling out today) notes:

Version: 2.1.0-373​

(2022-06-21)
What's New

1. Supports sending notifications when a device connects for the first time to a Wi-Fi network (applicable for SRM 1.3.1 and above).
  2. Added new activity cards.
  3. Supports adding devices to the system block list from the device list.
  4. Supports managing traffic of specific devices directly from the traffic monitor page.
Fixed Issues

1. Fixed the display inconsistency between DS router and SRM regarding IPTV profiles.
  2. Enhanced the stability of DS router.
  3. Minor bug fixes.

SRM Version: 1.3.1-9316​

(2022-06-23)
Important notes
This version is the release candidate (RC) of SRM 1.3.1.
What's New

1. Supports a new installation wizard.
  2. Revamped login style page.
  3. Supports VLAN and other relevant SRM 1.3 functions for RT2600ac and MR2200ac.
  4. Supports utilizing RT2600ac as a Wi-Fi point in a mesh Wi-Fi system.
  5. Supports compatibility of mesh Wi-Fi system between RT6600ax, RT2600ac, and MR2200ac.
  6. Improved device startup speed.
  7. Improved accuracy of device name recognition.
Fixed Issues
  1. Fixed the issue where DoH might get incorrect IP addresses.
  2. Fixed the issue where the IGMP proxy version might be incorrect.
  3. Fixed the issue where DDNS might not update automatically.
  4. Fixed the issue where encrypted folders might not open correctly.
  5. Fixed the issue where DHCP might fail to add new reserved clients.
  6. Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities (Synology-SA-22:09).
  7. Minor bug fixes.
Known Issues and Limitations
  1. MR2200ac with SRM 1.2 or earlier is not compatible with RT6600ax in a mesh Wi-Fi system.
  2. SRM 1.3 and above are only compatible with DS router 2.0 and above.
  3. Wireless Repeater mode (WDS mode) is not supported.
  4. Restoring configurations between SRM 1.2 and SRM 1.3 is not supported.
  5. Smart Connect Scheme is not supported.
  6. Wi-Fi Performance Test is not supported.
  7. Cloud Station is not supported.

@Rusty what does this mean?
Known Issues and Limitations
  • Smart Connect Scheme is not supported.
When I look in the SRM 1.3 documentation Smart Connect is there... General settings

~~~~~

I realise it's just the scheme that's been removed. So now in SRM 1.3 you use Smart Connect with default scheme from Synology and no longer can adjust it yourself. Well that will probably reduce tickets with Synology Support.

Last edited:
SRM 1.3.1 upgrade installed on my mesh RT2600ac+MR2200ac. All my wifi devices using Primary wifi network are disconnected and cannot connect anymore. Just to mention, I use the RADIUS package. Secondary wifi network (guest network) is OK..
Looks like it"t the problem with RADIUS Server Package.

Needed to say it, so others will know.

upgraded my RT2600ac+MR2200sc, everything works fine in my setup
already made a new isolated network for IoT devices
the only thing i had to do was to switch to wireless uplink between mesh points in order to upgrade,
after the upgrade just plugged in the wired link and everything works fine

so far so good

So that means you’re using WPAn Enterprise authentication on the primary WiFi network. That’s going to to be time consuming to switch all devices to WPAn Personal if you can’t fix the RADIUS auth.

What a pain!
Already did it - only 6 home wifi devices (mostly smartphones of my family members), so it was not too bad. I switched from RADIUS to standard WPA2-Personal (custom), so one (the same) wifi password for all clients. I liked the way that everyone has its own password (corresponding with his/her router user account), but if it does not work...
Will have to report it to syno support so they hopefully fix it soon.

I liked the way that everyone has its own password (corresponding with his/her router user account), but if it does not work
A while back I briefly considered using WPAn Enterprise with RADIUS Server on DSM. Then I realised I would be making a rod for my own back having to support it: I have 66 DHCP reservations for WiFi devices, not all current but it's still a big number to change over :)

I bit the bullet and upgraded my RT2600ac and 2x MR2200 units to 1.3.1 today and REALLY wish I hadn't. I have been desperate for VLAN support for a while, but the feature wasn't worth the hassle I'm now experiencing.

To detail the network, my Cable Modem comes into the house in the lounge, into the RT2600ac. The MR2200s are cabled through two different gigabit switches into ports 1 and 2 of the RT2600ac.

Since upgrading to 1.3.1, my IOS devices can only sustain 1-2mbps throughput with all trusted speed tests (previously 300mpbs+ on 1.2.5). I'm not 100% certain yet, but it's either something to do with Smart Connect, or something to do with handoff between mesh APs (802.11r), or possibly both. As soon as I disable smart connect and separate out the 2.4G and 5G networks, I can connect my iPhone (or the wife's iPhone, or my iPad) to the 5G network and get 300mbps again. My laptop (Windows 10, Dell XPS13) will happily continue to get 300mbps regardless of Smart Connect.

Interestingly, if I disconnect and reconnect (whilst Smart Connect is still enabled), I can sometimes get up to a minute of full-speed connectivity, but it will ALWAYS end up dropping back to the 1-2mbps awfulness eventually.

I REALLY hope that I'm not the only user to experience this and that Synology fix this for the final release, otherwise I've essentially bricked these three units as they are practically useless for me now on 1.3.1.

Disappointed :(

Screenshot 2022-07-05 183653.png

I asked the above question in synology forums...
the answer i got seems to work.

I remember that on really old Apple kit, e.g. a 2008 MacBook black plastic, that it could not connect to SRM's WiFi if 802.11r was enabled. For newer kit it wasn't a problem but this faster transitions between bases was for old kit. I didn't test with much else but until recently I had it disabled on the main SSID. I've not jumped on the SRM 1.3 RC bandwagon.

I see they've now taken down the 1.3x update for the rt2600 and mr2200. I had a similar (crappy) experience- upgraded rt2600 and 6 mr2200s. Wireless seemed completely trashed. I ended up restoring to factory settings, and re-entering by hand all the settings (firewall, port forwarding, etc., what an annoyance) from prior to the upgrade. Since then, it seems to be working fine. However, it looks like when I manually re-entered all my settings, I set 802.11r to unchecked, which was probably not how it had been set previously. So my incompetence in transcribing my settings saved me.

Unfortunately I am having similar problems along with other users
I read in Synology Community Forums that a patch is out but in order to get it you have to contact Synology Support via opening a Ticket": Synology Community

I opened my ticket yesterday but they told me that the patch is for RT6600 and as far I can see for RT2600 & MR2200 is just an empty patch for mesh update reasons...

In the mean time I opened remote access for Synology support and I saw they have logged in and disabled 802.11r support for my mesh network as far as I know 802.11r support is an integral part for a mesh network for fast roaming between mesh points and seamless handoff...

Has anyone has similar experience with 802.11r and maybe an answer if it should be on or off ?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.