Solved SRM gets priority over DSM on network discovery.

Currently reading
Solved SRM gets priority over DSM on network discovery.

NAS
DS218+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
  2. MR2200ac
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
On my home network setup I have a Synology RT2600ac Router & DS218+ NAS.

Both of them are on custom ports:
For the NAS 42740 , 42740 for HTTP & 42741 for HTTPS
For the Router, 42742 for HTTP & 42743 for HTTPS.

When I reach externally my network from my own domain (lets say example.com) the Router is discovered always first…
How it is possible to have it the other way around,
I want to keep external access for both devices but when I hit example.com I want it to automatically discover my NAS and redirect to port 42741 (the HTTPS port of the NAS)?

What port forwarding rules have you configured?
none,
all my port forwarding is done via upnp by the NAS

Untitled.png

The IP of my router on the LAN is 192.168.100.1 (Device Name: VVDS-SRM)
The IP of the NAS 192.168.100.100 (Device Name VVDS-DSM)

The 192.168.100.99 (Devoce Name DDSM) is a docker DSM for torrenting...

I would like to recommend you to disable UPnP services, due to possible security vulnerabilities of the entire UPnP concept. Then use manual Port forwarding. It’s easy in SRM.
Done!
Annotation 2020-04-25 184739.png

I knew that this was not gonna be a solution to my problem, but it was a good point...
... i was just too lazy!!!

Now if you will still sometimes need to access the rt2600 over the internet (not recommended due to security considerations, but you might need the option) you can go into Control Panel / System / SRM Settings, and change the default port numbers for the router.

What port forwarding rules have you configured?
none,
all my port forwarding is done via upnp by the NAS
Hum, that was a wee bit pedantic. I should have replaced 'have you' with 'are'. Anyway you had port forwarding rules and needed to fix them to get it working.

All Internet traffic that comes to the Internet router will be handle by the router as trying to access the TCP and UDP ports (and ICMP and GRE, and...) any services that are listening on the router. To intercept these incoming requests and direct them to a device behind the router requires network address and port translation (and if the router/firewall is smart enough adjusting payload for some services). The SRM port forwarding feature performs both these translations, address and port (if you want to change the port), but then the incoming requests requires a firewall rule that is based on the translated destination address and port to finally allow the request to pass to the LAN.

UPnP seems convenient but as you found out it isn't because it didn't know what you really wanted to do.

Now if you will still sometimes need to access the rt2600 over the internet (not recommended due to security considerations, but you might need the option) you can go into Control Panel / System / SRM Settings, and change the default port numbers for the router.
Good Advice,
Done.
Hum, that was a wee bit pedantic. I should have replaced 'have you' with 'are'. Anyway you had port forwarding rules and needed to fix them to get it working.

All Internet traffic that comes to the Internet router will be handle by the router as trying to access the TCP and UDP ports (and ICMP and GRE, and...) any services that are listening on the router. To intercept these incoming requests and direct them to a device behind the router requires network address and port translation (and if the router/firewall is smart enough adjusting payload for some services). The SRM port forwarding feature performs both these translations, address and port (if you want to change the port), but then the incoming requests requires a firewall rule that is based on the translated destination address and port to finally allow the request to pass to the LAN.

UPnP seems convenient but as you found out it isn't because it didn't know what you really wanted to do.
So very true.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.