Currently reading
SSD Cache for my DS920+

NAS
DS920+
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I run Storj and it makes my drives crazy loud, 4x16TB Exos 16. Would 2 Samsung 870 evo plus 1TB ease my ears?

Last edited by a moderator:
The 16TB Exos are inherently noisy. Are you thinking of the 1TB 870 EVO as an SSD cache for the 4x16TB Exos? Depending on the workload, it is reasonable to assume that an SSD cache would result in less HDD activity; and therefore less noise. But the noise reduction may or may not be sufficient for your taste, in your environment.

The 16TB Exos are inherently noisy. Are you thinking of the 1TB 870 EVO as an SSD cache for the 4x16TB Exos? Depending on the workload, it is reasonable to assume that an SSD cache would result in less HDD activity; and therefore less noise. But the noise reduction may or may not be sufficient for your taste, in your environment.
Yeah, I planned to buy two of those ssds and use it as a write/read cache. System also on an ups.

Not sure how much cache hit you will get with STORJ. I have a 2TB node and there is always new content coming in, so not sure how the cache will help with that. As you said you are running with exos drives and those are by default not designed to be silent.

my2c

Not sure how much cache hit you will get with STORJ. I have a 2TB node and there is always new content coming in, so not sure how the cache will help with that. As you said you are running with exos drives and those are by default not designed to be silent.

my2c
Maybe DX517 and a silent drive is the only option left :/

Or put the NAS in a sound-proof (but properly cooled) box.
My main problem is due constant read and writes. It was a bad choice from me running SHR1with btrfs. That makes the usage of resources skyrocket. With just 2,67TB stored on Storj 34% or disk resources are used.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.