NAS
RS2418RP+, DS218+, DS214play
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
I'm adding SSD cache to my RP2418RP+, and I'm looking at the M2D18 and M2D20. The M2D20 would be the obvious choice given the PCIe 3.0 performance except the drive compatibility list only including Synology drives, the maximum of which is 800GB. If I go for the older M2D18, I can find plenty of 2TB drive options, but I only get PCIe 2.0 performance.

I don't know how far Synology takes the "incompatibility" restriction & whether "non-compatible" drives A.) work but aren't supported, or B.) are prevented from working.

So... it would seem I have to choose between cache size & cache speed. Any guidance from you all would be appreciated.

Thanks,
NS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.