SSD Cache needs to be updated (created in V6)

Currently reading
SSD Cache needs to be updated (created in V6)

NAS
DS 718+, 2x-DS 720+
Router
  1. RT2600ac
Operating system
  1. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. iOS
Ijn Storage Manager in 7.1, On a 720+ with M.2 R/W cache that was enabled in V6..... Now in V7.1 I'm being told in Storage mananger that I should remove the V6 SSD Cache, and then re-install it under 7.1, as it will be a better Cache.....

Never done this before, and I've read corruption can occur if not done correctly.... Notes are not 100% clear.....

Any comments on this? This is on a NAS used 24/7, and I can't pre test this on experimental 720+ because it started life at 7.1 and does not have cache yet....

Thanks for any comments

Solution
Update.... Uninstalled Ironwolf 510 R/W from my old 720+ and installed on new 720+ successfully.

Unable to find Ironwolf 510 and 3 places called about 525 Ironwolfs only had 2TB units... Ordered Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB to go in older 720+
I have done this a couple of times.
In storage manager:
- Go to the Storage page.
- Click the upper-right icon "***" (3 dots) of the SSD cache you want to remove.
- Select Remove from the drop-down menu, and confirm.
- Wait until SSD cache has been written back to harddrive(s). Might take a while
Then create a new SSD cache, if needed.

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Thanks for all info.. Before starting I backed up all important data to two different locations... (It's my Wife's Data!)

Removed cache... (Three Dots -- It took a while to find that!)
What it did: Removed one, not both M.2's...
Tried to do 2nd one... can't (didn't document message....)
Scared... Tried to repair Cache.... (Said M.2 drive was not supported)
Tried all options.... None would do anything.. as a further remove or repair or __________.
Shut down system... Removed M.2's. Powered up, HD data still there, but said so was removed Cache!!!
No Cache remove or Repair, or even Disable would do anything.
Saw that Indexing was going on.... Let it sit for 3 hours until it finished
After Index finished, rebooted... Same Cache warning... But now it Removes!!!
Rebooted again.... No errors... Check HD data again... All appears to be there, and tested many loads... Yep, it's there....

Shut down System..... Installed both M..2's again.... Power up.... Sees Cache devices, but not installed...
Installed R/W Cache... The Graphical interface from V6 isn't there, but everything now claims to be healthy!!
I didn't do a screen capture, but when only 1 of 2 M.2's were removed, it did prompt Unsupported M.2! Obviously not!

What Fun!!! I'm off to do more testing prior to giving it back to Wife.... At least the cache is now configured as V7 compatible!!
PS: M.2 Drives were both Seagate Ironwolf 510 M.2's, and 256GB..

Active Insight sent many emails about data errors during the time frame when only 1 M.2 was seen by system....
Edit later: All still reporting healthy: Both Drives and both M.2’s. (All Seagate Ironwolf)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I realize that the above post reports activity out of the normal (I Hope) . I am expecting 2x 512GB M.2's later today...
I would like to determine if yesterday's 'fiasco' might have been caused by:
7.1 issue (don't think so)
Something held over from V6 Cache (Could be)
Something unique to this paticular 720+ (?)
Something unique to the M.2's (Don't think so)

Because of the unknown's, Seeing that I have a backup of important data from that NAS... I'm going to Remove cache Yet again, Document what happens, then replace the cache with different/larger M.2's, and Reinstall R/W cache, and finally move the 256GB caches involved with yesterday's issue, to another 720+ with 7.1 and install R/W Cache on that one...

The reesults of those actions should provide some answers More later

PS. FedEx is delayed. Hopefully tomorrow

Upvote 0
Last edited:
I can report that Remove SSD Cache in 7.1 Works Fine on 2X 720+ units (2nd time around -- and 3rd -- and 4th!)
Under the 3 dots thing, remove worked without an issue.... In fact, I'm getting pretty good with it! :)!

What's not working.... Well maybe it IS WORKING AS PLANNED! NOT ALL M.2 SSD's are Seen by 720+ in 7.1 !!

Shut down, Power down, add New M.2's... Power up.... No M.2's seen at all! Go back to Ironwolf... OK 2x seen... Shut down, swap to EMTEC... Power up.... No M.2 SSD's SEEN!!!!

The M.2's I bought from Micro Center are not even 'Seen' in 7.1 in 2 different 720+ Units....
The Ironwolf 510's are seen in both units..... Of course to prove this the Ironwolf 510's were swapped back and forth between 2x 720+ units...
Ironwolf: Si!
EMTEC: No!

Actually, the longest time was spent going through the hoops between Micro Center Support, and then Sales (For RMA)....

Trying to make the best of bad situation.... Had Sales check: They are out of Ironwolf M.2's of any type..... Darn!

SO.... The Ironwolf 256GB 510's are now (Finally) back in Wife's 720+..... with them set as R/W Cache's.... and my 'Experimental 720+ is still without cache....

And I'm awaiting Email with shipping Label and RMA.. (RMA Received.. Fedex Label provided, Packaged)

If you all have info on an M.2 that is still being sold...... and works in a 720+ and 7.1, (And Hopefully in the compatibility list !!!) please post the info....

BUT :)! Remove SSD Cache works.... (I'm guessing the fun times earlier was a holdover from V6 that caused it!)

Education Continues!!!!

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Regarding EMTEC M.2 not being 'seen' at all.... (After multiple attempts) Support asked for, and I just sent the 720+ Debug Logs...
It will be interesting to see what their answer will be.... (This 720+ is little over a week old, but it has Crucial Ram in it....)
So we could find out other things....

Upvote 0
Last edited:
While I await Synology's answer, I contacted 2 major hardware sellers.... Interesting chat with one of them (B&H)
They are aware of Synology's Compatibility list being outdated.. and said Seagate has discontinued the 510 M.2,
and is not certain if 525 M.2 will work. They are awaiting Synology to respond to the issue... He would not say if
he's heard of a M.2 drive simply not being seen by Synology, and suggested I file a support request at Synology...
(I await a response... Micro Center RMA Shipped via Fedex today.)
PS to this: I’m not the only one with this issue I hear!

Edit: Other fellow called Synology Support; he informs me that it’s happening with Synology Drives, too!

Upvote 0

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.