DSM 7.1 SSD Cache window in Storage Manager

NAS
DS923+
Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
It happened (after some laptop upgrades) that I had a spare Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb nvme drive. So I decided to give it a go as ssd cache in my DS923+. I don't believe I need it in my use case scenario, but I just wanted to give a purpose for this drive.
Everything was OK, no problems at all. I don't see any speed improvements but I just wanted to experiment.

Just checking some online videos about ssd caching for Synology's products, I noticed that there is an extra window in Storage Manager related to SSD Cache. I do not see this in my system (DSM 7.1.1). I can't find any further info on this. Should it be available in DSM 7.1.1 or has something changed?

ssd_cache_1.png

It happened (after some laptop upgrades) that I had a spare Samsung 970 Evo Plus 250Gb nvme drive. So I decided to give it a go as ssd cache in my DS923+. I don't believe I need it in my use case scenario, but I just wanted to give a purpose for this drive.
Everything was OK, no problems at all. I don't see any speed improvements but I just wanted to experiment.

Just checking some online videos about ssd caching for Synology's products, I noticed that there is an extra window in Storage Manager related to SSD Cache. I do not see this in my system (DSM 7.1.1). I can't find any further info on this. Should it be available in DSM 7.1.1 or has something changed?

View attachment 11788
It should be as part of the Storage Manager app

Last edited:
Do you have NVMe installed already? Do you see the drive in the HDD/SSd section inside Storage Manager?
Yes, I do see it there. All seems to be OK, the ssd cache (read only) is reported as working, it's just that I do not see that special entry at the bottom and the relative graphical information.
I do not see the information as it is in the photo I attached (the photo is a screen grab from a video)...
-- post merged: --

I just checked the video I was watching and I noticed that it is from DSM 6.x.
Can anyone confirm that it should be the same in 7.1.1?
If it should be there in my system version, then it could be an indication that hdd migration from ds220+ to ds923+ was not really a good idea and maybe there are other issues too that I have just not noticed yet. In that case I should consider installing everything from scratch and restore data and settings from Hyper Backup set.

Ofc, I ma an idiot. Under Storage Pool section you will have the buttons along the right side (top). Create button is now a dropdown menu. There you will be able to get a new cache wizard. Also along the same line you will have the SSD cache advisor button.

Ofc, I ma an idiot. Under Storage Pool section you will have the buttons along the right side (top). Create button is now a dropdown menu. There you will be able to get a new cache wizard. Also along the same line you will have the SSD cache advisor button.
Yes, I already followed the wizard to create the ssd cache. I have started the cache advisor and I will wait for at least a week (more of curiosity and not for need of cache).
So, you believe it is normal that the window has changed and there is no extra ssd cache entry on the left column. Can you confirm?
Though, that graphical representation of the hit rate seems quite nice...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.