Operating system
  1. Linux
  2. macOS
  3. Windows
Mobile operating system
  1. Android
  2. iOS
Just to share some SSD experiences:
Next week, my first two SSD (Samsung 850 and a Sandisk Ultra) will pass the 30K hours. They are in a SHR with a later added Samsung 860 that has 8000h on the clock.
Life estimation is still 96% at the Samsung 850 and no issues so far. These three are still going strong.

The two Kingston A400 2TB, I do regret because of the temperature issues, making the NAS shutdown for temperature reasons several times while scrubbing (or at a hot day trim).
I had changed the Syno temperature settings file, but it gets overwritten by the default 61 degrees C after probably DS updates.
Then I drilled a lot of holes in the SSD casing (bye bye warranty :), and put some thermal paste between the case and the processor, temperature is 3 degrees down on average, just enough to survive a scrubbing on a not too hot day. Ok for now.

So let us head for the next 30K hours...

Last edited:
I'm on my second all-SSD array (4TB WD Blue x 5).

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 18.41.53.png

So only 13807hrs on these, around 575 days:

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 18.41.10.png

I have a sixth still sitting in its packet, just in case.

Thinking about temperatures the only ones I had trouble with were Crucial branded - they triggered shutdowns when working reasonably hard.

No such issues with the WD SSDs - nice and cool given that my rack intake is at 26ºC and 33ºC at the exhaust:

Screenshot 2021-07-29 at 19.01.15.png

@fredbert - Back in the day it was proper books rather than unremarkable movies.

Anyway, we were kinda forced into going along with the Tolkien curve - we bought a house here in the UK called Bag End, with Hobbit Cottage and The Shires as our fellow cul-de-sac neighbours. There is simply no escaping it. The movies have just lowered the IQ of those asking about Tolkien's link with our little wood. Many don't make the link to 'bottom of the bag' and just accept the French phrase as an English one.

Clearly I am also short, stocky and with leather growing naturally on the soles of my reasonably hairy feet. So there's that.

🥳

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.